Shoulder Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
What pellets is everyone using for shoulder season ?? I'm just about out and going to be picking up a ton of somersets for $ 209. Going to start re building up pellets in July.

For those of us who dont know, what is Shoulder Season , and how did it's name come about? Ive never heard of it.

I'm not convinced there is going to BE a shoulder season this year. S'posed to be below zero again tonight. But anyway, it's typically fall and spring, those times when ya need a fire most nights, and some days, to keep the chill off, but not much of a fire, or it'll drive ya out of the house. Origins - some lamearse made it up somewhere sometime, and it stuck, kinda like most words.

As a newbie to pellet stoves, could someone tell me if pellets are available year 'round and if so, are they cheaper in the off season? I'll be interested in stocking up when they're the cheapest and I'm figuring that can't be during the winter.

Shoulder season has been used for many a years. Not warm enough for no jacket/sweater, But to chilly to do without. So its worn on your "shoulders". Wood burners use there junk wood(still burns hot, But doesn't burn long for quick chill killer fires) and pellet burners use there less hot pellets. Other fuel burners use there thermostats.

arnash said:
As a newbie to pellet stoves, could someone tell me if pellets are available year 'round and if so, are they cheaper in the off season? I'll be interested in stocking up when they're the cheapest and I'm figuring that can't be during the winter.

Pellets are available all season from pellet houses and most hearth shops. Bigbox stores stock seasonal items. In the spring you can find cheaper prices(generally) in 2 ways. Spring pre-buy and close out/old stock sales. Some mills offer better prices during the off season to pellet dealers. This is called the spring pre-buy(some dealers want a prepayment). It keeps the mills making pellets all season long and the pellet dealers selling during the warmer months. Generally this is when you can get the best deals from the pellet houses and hearth shops. Box stores are an exception, There season prices start high and usaully are cheaper durnig the winter. Then actually increase as the season ends. This is a general answer as there is often mid season sales at the pellet house's or specials that can rival spring deals. So a good rule is buy when you think there reasonable, But don't over buy as tomorrows deal could be better? One never knows for sure and just when you think you got it all figured out, They start throwing curves at you!

Shoulder seasons is a term used for a long time in the travel industry. Business picks up in Spring, peaks in Summer and starts back down in the Fall. AKA Shoulder period.

I'm guessin shoulder season is just above elbow season and right below neck season?

As opposed to Head and Shoulders season. Snow.

arnash said:

In general, you're correct. Buying something "off season" is the cheapest way in many cases.

Pellets should be cheapest in the spring & early summer, but last year was different....pellet prices were the lowest in the late fall & winter.

So, who knows....it seems to be a crapshoot these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.