Shoulder season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Can someone explain to me origin of "shoulder season?" I'm fascinated by this expression.

I understand from the context what it means, but why shoulder season and not, say, arm season or pebble season or [insert random word here] season?

Probably because it looks like a shoulder when you start to think about the temps. It is that little hump before it drops to a flat line that is COLD. At least that is my take from it. Thinking about an arm doesn't do it for me. Maybe a little rounded hill or something.

We do use a lot of expressions without thinking about them. Sometimes the origins are quite interesting.

I can say that it's also a term for the travel industry. You might hear someone say that you can get some nice deals when traveling in shoulder season (just before or after peak tourist times).

Also you can travel on the road, or drift onto the shoulder.

If we think about it, we probably could find more uses that are similar.

Probably from naming of some random distributions, where the shoulders taper off to zero occurrences on both sides of the peak.

I'm thinking it's got to do with the fact that when it starts getting a bit chilly, you drape a shawl or sweater over your shoulders to ward off the chill.
I personally wouldn't wear a shawl, but would wear a sweater or sweatshirt (usually a thermal hoodie). I'll put a quilt over my shoulders, 'cause my wife makes really nice warm quilts. :cheese:

TreePointer said:
Also you can travel on the road, or drift onto the shoulder.
Yes, you're walking on the shoulder, not in the middle of the highway about to be flattened by the eighteen-wheeler called Winter. :grrr:

I agree with Dave but there are probably several ways this term became in use.

Its sissy season, preseason, all skate starts Jan. 1..... ;-)

PapaDave said:
I'm thinking it's got to do with the fact that when it starts getting a bit chilly, you drape a shawl or sweater over your shoulders to ward off the chill.
I personally wouldn't wear a shawl, but would wear a sweater or sweatshirt (usually a thermal hoodie). I'll put a quilt over my shoulders, 'cause my wife makes really nice warm quilts. :cheese:

That's exactly what I pictured when I first heard it - some old lday shrugging her shoulders up to keep warm under a shawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.