Shoulder season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGDADDY

Feeling the Heat
May 17, 2012
Why do they call it the "shoulder season"? I just wondered where the name originated from.

Imagine a graph of heating requirement over the course of a year from, say July to July. Heating requirement (in whatever units you like) starts out at the lowest level of the year, then begins to increase, maybe slowly at first. Then along about late September (of course all this depends on where you live) it's getting plenty chilly but not "deep winter" cold. This is the fall into winter "shoulder season". Some heating required, but not full time flat out. Then the heating requirement continues to increase significantly through Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb...then maybe starts to decrease. Approaching the spring into summer "shoulder season"...then (finally) comes a day you stop burning for the season. During shoulder season you may not be burning every day...maybe just mornings & evenings. The graph can be said to look like a head with shoulders. The popular folklore has it that the term came from the tourism industry to describe those periods between peak season and off season. Rick

If you look the heating season in a graph format over time, the beginning and end of the season the graph will go up slowly and come down slowly. Those are the shoulder seasons. The highest (middle of the graph) need is peak season.

Been cutting & burning for 32 yrs,never heard the term since I joined here almost 2 yrs ago.

It means Oct Nov & March April the "shoulders'' with the coldest months Dec Jan Feb the 'head' in between.

I still call it Fall & Spring usually though.

season between peak and off-peak seasons, spring and fall
Was a term used for air travel, adopted by wood burners.
;)

Reactions: cptoneleg
I googled images of shoulder season and this came up.......look familiar Pen ?

images

Thanks for the replies.

It feels like shoulder here right now! Man I hate winter but its coming. Guess that is why I do what I do! :)

Reactions: Jags and Thistle
shoulder season, the time to burn the punks and uglies before and after the 24/7 heating season.

It feels like shoulder here right now! Man I hate winter but its coming. Guess that is why I do what I do! :)

45 @5AM when I woke up,42 at sunrise.Burned a 3 gallon bucket of dry scrap/kindling for a couple hours to take the chill off.First fire of the season,normally its a couple weeks later.66 now,mid 70's rest of week.

Its-a-comin'.....But I'm ready.>>

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
They call it shoulder season because we shrug a lot when trying to decide weather to light the stove or not. ==c

Been cutting & burning for 32 yrs,never heard the term since I joined here almost 2 yrs ago.

It means Oct Nov & March April the "shoulders'' with the coldest months Dec Jan Feb the 'head' in between.

I still call it Fall & Spring usually though.

Fall and Spring are shoulder seasons. Winter is head season. What is summer?

Reactions: BIGDADDY
Fall and Spring are shoulder seasons. Winter is head season. What is summer?

Depends on the work habits.

Butt Season. For some folks it's too hot to work on the wood and they sit on their butts, drinking cold ones and wiling away the long summer days. For other folks it's time for them to get their butts in gear and make sure they have plenty of wood for the upcoming heating seasons.

Reactions: ScotO
Should call it "window season". Our windows will end up staying open from the moment we build the first fire right through the end of November, I like to refer to my windows as "woodstove thermostats" also.......::-)

Reactions: Jags and ScotO
seems to be how it goes at our house...i finally decide it's cold enough to light the first fire of the year and the wife decides to open a window about 5 minutes later. hopefully a couple more weeks before the stove sees a match

Reactions: ScotO
speaking of shoulder season....temp dropped to five degrees below freezing here last night, and as a result the first fire of the year was lit in the stove this morning.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.