Shovel the Ashes ! ! ! OR Not ? ? ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bimmerFAITH

Oct 12, 2010
Metro Atlanta
So, this EPA stove is much different from the old beast I burned with for the last two years. I used to have to empty the ashes every two or three days.

I have been burning for about 6 weeks now and have not needed shovel the ashes yet. Do ashes burn? Where do they go? It seems as if after only a week or so of burning, that the ashes just quit accumulating.

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

You might be burning less wood, but the ashes keep coming. It is good to keep a layer of ashes to insulate the coals, but sooner or later you will have to clean them out.

Less wood burned = Less ashes made. Also are you burning same species of wood ?

Sometimes the ashes get compressed a bit into a more dense layer. Almost like a brick or MILF (Mother In Laws Foot) was smashing it down. I find it happens more during the shoulder season when I'm not burning as much.

The ashes also are more completely burned than a lot of fireplaces (and maybe stoves) burn them. Could also just have more room for the ashes in the stove, or you are burning a different type of wood. Some wood produces a lot of ash, others nearly nothing.

bimmerFAITH said:
So, this EPA stove is much different from the old beast I burned with for the last two years. I used to have to empty the ashes every two or three days.

I have been burning for about 6 weeks now and have not needed shovel the ashes yet. Do ashes burn? Where do they go? It seems as if after only a week or so of burning, that the ashes just quit accumulating.

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Yes. But the reason is this new EPA stove burns a whole lot less wood. We burn only half the amount of wood we used to so, have half the amount of ash. For your area, I certainly can believe 6 weeks burning before emptying the ashes. We haven't even had cold weather yet! But hold on, it will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.