Show me your count down timers to control fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I installed a timer on my Econoburn to shut off the fan after a certain time. I used a Intermatic FF12HHC 12-Hour Spring Loaded Wall Timer.

It seems to be working but it is difficult to judge exactly where the time is set. There is quite a bit of movement in the knob. If you move the knob in either direction there is a 2 hour swing before you feel resistance on both sides.

Please show any timers that you have used and are working out well for you.

I am thinking I might need a digital timer so you can see the exact time when you set it.

gg

With most of these types of timer you wind the knob clockwise at least half-way and then back counterclockwise to the time you want. The calibration of the time marks on the panel may not be precise but I don't think your application needs precision. It just needs to be consistent.

Unless you are weighing your wood loads you might have as much variation in your burn times as in the timer.

Try turning the dial well past the time your want and then back to your desired time. See if that doesn't give you a consistent length of time and adjust the time you set until it matches your fire times.

P.S. Don't let your wife see you weighing your firewood. Just take my word for it.

Hey GG. Is it difficult to wire one of these in? Is this what yours looks like? I know the picture doesn't show much, it's a timer. :lol: How many wires does it have?

I do not have an electrical background. Could explain how you wired it in? And if the timer turns the fan off after say, 6 hours, according to what you figured the wood load would last, is there a bypass for when you start up another load of wood? If the timer has cut the power to the fan after six hours. What restores the power to the fan when you start your next fire? Do you always have to use the timer? Or is it possible to return to normal operation when you do not need the timer? As you can tell, I do not know electrical, so your explanation will have to be in very basic terms. I don't know if I am going to put one in this year. I may wait and see how this year goes. But I have been thinking about it. I have a brother who has pretty good electical knowledge, so I would probably have him help me put it in. Thanks man.

Attachments

• timer.jpg
    timer.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 311
DaveBP said:
With most of these types of timer you wind the knob clockwise at least half-way and then back counterclockwise to the time you want. The calibration of the time marks on the panel may not be precise but I don't think your application needs precision. It just needs to be consistent.

Unless you are weighing your wood loads you might have as much variation in your burn times as in the timer.

Try turning the dial well past the time your want and then back to your desired time. See if that doesn't give you a consistent length of time and adjust the time you set until it matches your fire times.

P.S. Don't let your wife see you weighing your firewood. Just take my word for it.

It works as you say, my desire for something more accurate is for when my wife or family loads it. I can just tell them half full 2 hours or full load 4 hours. This one has a lot of movement between tension. I just installed it yesterday so I will give it a try for a while. I just wanted to see if there are better options.

gg

Gasifier,

Mine was very simple. My Econoburn has a metal toggle switch next to the fan enclosure. It is used to shut off fan to add wood. It had connectors crimped on the wires.

I used crimp connectors on the wires I added so I can easily go back to what I had if I want to change.

Two wires, Took the Load wire off the toggle, connected a new wire from the Toggle switch to the Line connection on timer. Then I connected the wire that I had taken off the toggle to the load side of the switch.

This allows me to just flip the toggle off if I want to check the fire or add any pieces without playing with the timer.

That picture you posted is not the right picture on Amazon. The model number is correct though. The timer has a hold button, in the hold position the fan will run continuous if you want.

On restart all you do is turn the dial to start the fan. In my case, Toggle up(which it always will be unless loading) and dial the timer.

gg

I tried a mechanical timer from Lowes to control my Garn fan....it is junk....I think it worked a few times, but usually it doesn't even turn on its own....so pay close attention....

bpirger said:
I tried a mechanical timer from Lowes to control my Garn fan....it is junk....I think it worked a few times, but usually it doesn't even turn on its own....so pay close attention....

I thought Garn used a mechanical timer?

What are you using?

gg

My setup came with the new controller (digital), well, it arrived a few months after I was up and running....so in the interim I tried to use a mechanical timer. Garn didn't send the old setup in the interim, we were on our own. So I tried the cheapo timer from Lowes....Still haven't hooked up the new one....sigh. Hoping to wait until the garn box is all completed, so we just turn on the fan and then have to shut it off at the moment....sometimes it runs an extra hour or three....ugh.

DaveBP said:

My wife doesn't care as long as I don't suggest putting the scale in the bedroom or bathroom. No scales permitted in any living space in our house.

Status
Not open for further replies.