Show me your Woods Truck: Inspiration Sought

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check for frame rot around the rear spring hangers, the spring shackles themselves and also the gas tank straps.

Be sure the 4wd works and works properly. The light duty front axle setup is why I got rid of mine. Damn thing grenaded twice when I really needed it (no joke, gears through the pumpkin, twice in a month, pulling the same hill snow covered both times). Get the posilock kit if you have to. Get the v8, the Essex v6 (4.2) is a dog and gets the same mileage as the v8. Manual is preferable.

Spring shackles rot out on 150's and Rangers. That's just how it is. Easy to replace, just lots of cutting, pounding, and swearing.

Last edited:
Here's my truck.While it looks nice I do work it and the bed has some decent dents in it. Just put the plow on the end of last winter and with a large storm being predicted for the end of the week it will get a full workout.

Not shown is my 5X10 trailer that I had built with wood gathering in mind. DSCN3914.JPG

Well thanks to all for responding, there is certainly a diversity of burdened beasts and hauling methods represented here. I ended up getting this el-cheapo Jeep Comanche locally last winter and it has been great. It has a pretty small bed, but I've been lucky sourcing wood within 5 miles of the house, so multiple trips is OK. The truck is great off-road and handles our tight mountain trails pretty well. And as a bonus, if I do suffer trail damage, it will only add to the character. I'm a one man show, so I tend to buck up my trees in the woods and split/stack at home. I've been cutting after a logging crew and am amazed at what is available on the ground. I added the winch from a previous truck I had a decade ago and was glad to see that it still works. I can drive my Comanche to the prospective firewood and use the winch to pull logs to the truck to be bucked to length. In the photos is a small load of black walnut that I cut this morning. I've been cutting off of a very steep limestone slope near a river and there is a lot of walnut. I've not burned it before, but it's free and local, and it splits really nicely. I split by hand so that really matters. Anyway, feel free to continue showing your beasts. I love the vintage machinery some of you have. a Jeep FC! Awesome.

Comanche2_zps05659e4b.jpg Comanche1_zpsa78be906.jpg

a Jeep FC! Awesome

Its really a shame that I beat that mule as hard as I do, but I ain't a collector. Nothing gets free rent around the Jags Estates.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Not sure if I posted mine here.....2013 Silverado Z/71

That's too pretty to take in the woods, Beer Belly.

Wow... a winch that's for something other than just show! That's rare, around here. Looks like you're living the life out there in the woods, TNCave. Congrats on the truck, character and all.

That Comanche sure looks sharp!

Love the winch.

Earl

Same here Jags. I have some cool old equipment, but it's mostly just practical stuff that meets my needs. What others may consider rusted obsolescence can be practical tools in the hands of those with the know-how and willingness for maintenance. I do wonder about safety sometimes though, my Gravely super-convertible may cut a foot off one day and I'll be hearing a great big "I told you so" on that one.

Beer Belly, I have to agree with Joful regarding your truck, that thing is way too nice for the woods.

That's too pretty to take in the woods, Beer Belly.
Beer Belly, I have to agree with Joful regarding your truck, that thing is way too nice for the woods.
MY TRUCK IS TOO PRETTY !!!!!:mad:;) .....I ever had to take my trucks into the woods, but if need be, it'll go

Awful clearance requirements for those in the woods, Jeff.

Reactions: jeff_t
Awful clearance requirements for those in the woods, Jeff.

Indeed.

One day I watched a driver out with a saw, cutting off the end of a log that was sticking out a bit too far. He couldn't get the trailer between two trees in a curve in the trail. That's truckin' ;)

Awesome trucks guys, glad to see the OP ended up with something simple and easy enough to work on. Have to love a solid front axle.

Here's my '91 F350, getting more aggressive tires shortly to deal with the mud and rocks.

truck.jpg

Good point, my truck is not my daily driver and if I had to drive a truck every day for a number of miles (on road) I would probably want IFS. But for what I use my truck for, I like the brawn and simplicity of the solid Dana 60.

Razo, lovin the brick nose F350.

solid front axle = aignment stability

08 F150 SCREW 6.5' FX4. Decent Wrangler pros. LSD ect. Gets me in and out of the bush no worries.

It also leaves giant number 11's if required.

my son's new woods truck
20140901_095136 (2).jpg

You know you're over the hill when... :p

My little guy for once I get it on my lot. 43 years young and pulls like a bull. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409614151.846195.jpg

WP_20140804_003.jpg my 2002 f150 fx4 frame rotted and cracked 3 months ago.....yes...unreal.
so I got a used Raptor 2010 6.2L.411HP..458LB-FT torque..so far Beastly...goes everywhere...and has hauled very well...
I only sprayed line-x the bed and rear wells and added some lights....all else is stock

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.