"show us your woodpile" photo contest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB

Jul 25, 2008
[email protected]
Hi folks,

I've been an occasional lurker for the last couple of years. Please forgive the fact that this is my initial post, as it is pseudo-commercial, in that it directs you to my company's website. But I received Craig's blessing, so I guess it's kosher.

I roast coffee with a woodfired machine. As far as I know, there are nine or ten folks in the US using this kind of technology and process. A bit antiquated, and a bit of a pain in the butt, but wood is good, for a number of reasons. Happily, you all know this--I'm preaching to the choir.

Anyhow, I'm running a contest. Basically, I'm looking for photos of woodpiles: large or small, well-stacked or not, with human and critter accompaniment, or without. Whoever submits the best image will receive a grinder or coffee press and free coffee shipped to them for a year.

Details for the contest can be found at www.mattscoffee.com. You're allowed one image via e-mail. (Unlimited submissions via hardcopy/snail mail.) The contest runs through the middle of November.

Any questions, feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers,
Matt
Matt's Wood Roasted Organic Coffee
Waterville and Pownal, ME

WoodButcher is going to have fun with this.......

I suspect I should keep looking for Maxwell House coupons in the paper.

Attachments

• woodpile.gif
    woodpile.gif
    120.6 KB · Views: 2,040
If Forum member doug60 submits his pic I think it ought to win hands down.

Attachments

• doug60 bears.jpg
    doug60 bears.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,994

Attachments

• wood stack.jpg
    wood stack.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,857
  • wood stack2.jpg
    wood stack2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,937
  • wood stack3.jpg
    wood stack3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,887
No one in my area does anything fun like that. I did see 2years ago a guy that made a little house in his front yard. I guess I should have taken a picture.

Webmaster said:
Wood fired coffee from Maine.....fair trade - organic -----hmm, I'm feeling a little tired........time for a cup.

A little "perk" of the business, eh?

WOODBUTCHER said:
WoodButcher is going to have fun with this.......

......by referring ot himself in the 3rd person.

No photos from me . . . just a boring ol' woodstack covered by a few multi-colored tarps.

However, I did want to give a shout out to MattB since he's just a hop, skip and a jump from where I live . . . best of luck with your business Matt. Now where exactly in Waterville are you located-- not that I drink coffee . . . someday I may grow up and start drinking the stuff though. :) ;)

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Am I allowed to enter the contest? hehehehe

I think maybe he's looking for quality, not quantity, Lee. :p Rick

LEES WOOD-CO said:
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW , fiddle sticks ! I thought I had a slam dunk!

Doesn't sound to me like you need any more coffee anyway. :lol: Rick

[quote author="LEES WOOD-CO" date="1226688873"]Am I allowed to enter the contest? hehehehe[/quot
I think you should alot of those pic's i have seen on the net before this site so LETTER YIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wood shed and additional stack.

Attachments

• Long wood pile.jpg
    Long wood pile.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,261
2 more woods stacks on property.

Attachments

• More wood 3.jpg
    More wood 3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,012
Nushagak said:
Side view

Nice wood shed! Alaska is a beautiful state.. How bad are the winters where you're located?

Ray

I'm in Fairbanks, so the winters are cold. Normally we get very little wind in the winter but we do get some pretty intense cold, -10 to - 20 very common with some -40 and lower temps as well. Photo is from my drive way -30 of a full moon about 3 pm.

Attachments

• Moon,006.jpg
    Moon,006.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 995
Nushagak said:
I'm in Fairbanks, so the winters are cold. Normally we get very little wind in the winter but we do get some pretty intense cold, -10 to - 20 very common with some -40 and lower temps as well. Photo is from my drive way -30 of a full moon about 3 pm.

Great pic!! I am using it as my desktop wallpaper :)

Thanx,
Ray

Nushagak said:

Well my proverbial hat is off to you . . . a few years back I visited my sister and her husband who live in Portage. At the time I remember thinking that the legendary insects of Alaska were a bunch of hooey and hype . . . until I decided to head north and go to the Arctic Circle (why? just to do the dumb hick Maine thing so I could say I've been to the Arctic Circle :) ).

In any case, I stopped off in your city on the way through as there is a marsh where migrating birds stop by . . . and Lord oh Lord . . . I have never ever seen so many blood-thirsty mosquitoes and other biting bugs (even worse than Maine's legendary blackflies). I saw a few birds (at least I think they were birds -- maybe they were large mosquitoes), but I pretty much ran through the entire area before making my escape.

So what I'm trying to say is being outdoors in middle of Summer (this was a few days before the Summer Equinox) in Fairbanks was pretty bad . . . I can't imagine what it would be like in middle of Winter in Fairbanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.