shredded paper for a fire starter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
been shreadding alot of papers at work new Gov. reg's this looks to be a great fire starter?

In my experience using paper out of the shredder at home, no. It burns too fast when it's just piled in there. Perhaps compressing it into tighter wads might help.

Let us know how it works out for you. The self-appointed enviro police would probably picket you for burning it because of the print toner on it.

I just need enough to get bark started just sounds like it will work great! enviro police whats that? lol

Tying those in knots must keep you busy.

It works.

I wonder what mixing it with parafin and compressing into a fire starter type puck would burn like?

Drip some used oil on it and then see if Enron wants to sell it as the ultimate green fuel? :)

I've tried shredded paper and it burned too fast. Instead of shredding my bank statements and other papers, this time of year I start the fire with them.

billb3 said:
Tying those in knots must keep you busy.

Either you guys are in rare form . . . or I'm a bit giddy . . . today's posts just keep getting more amusing . . . and I just keep laughing and laughing.

FFJ, methinks it's that you finally went off the deep end. We all knew the day would come, this was just a little sooner than expected. I'll probably be seeing a 20/20 special on you next week.....

Danno77 said:
FFJ, methinks it's that you finally went off the deep end. We all knew the day would come, this was just a little sooner than expected. I'll probably be seeing a 20/20 special on you next week.....

Oh, if you only saw my office right now you really would wonder about my sanity . . . I have a pink girl's bike parked next to my desk and the guys keep asking if I opted to ride into work today with it.

Incidentally, it's not mine . . . we're giving it away next week at our Fire Prevention Open House . . . providing none of the guys decide to take it out in the back parking lot and try doing some BMX X-Game style tricks with it and break it. :)

Backwoods Savage said:
It works.
+1 blowers were up and running about 40 min.s good way to get rid of this stuff a little at a time.

smokinjay said:
been shreadding alot of papers at work new Gov. reg's this looks to be a great fire starter?

Shredding Gov's paperwork, per new regs? Obama's taking care of loose ends? Whoops, if I'm not careful this will tossed in the Ash Can. :p
-
Is this part of the Cap and Trade program? Burning paperwork adds to global warming? Where's Al Gore when you need him?

Shredded paper ignites quick and will burn hot enough to get chainsaw wood shavings burning. You can compress the wood shavings to make a pretty decent kindling starter.

CTburns said:
smokinjay said:

Isn't it against some law to burn paper? lol!

Only for those of us who are not politicians :)

I tried shredded paper and it burned way to fast. Someone recently suggested egg cartons. Rip the top from the bottom, step on them and just use one piece per fire. Works great. Tried it last year by melting wax in cartons; again works well but too much work. Course you have to love eggs. New science, this week, says that we can eat eggs. Be safe.
Ed

CTburns said:
smokinjay said:

The Federal Govt is laying off on procuting on that for a while.. it's been all over the media.

Personally I by a case of my favorite brew, and then use the little card board bottle dividers, just rip and fold, 3 per fire. seam to work good. And I always have plenty around :)

CTburns said:
smokinjay said:

If the paper is wrapped around some shredded and dried herb . . . yes. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.