Englander 17-VL shrinking firebricks and cloudy glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I wonder if cloudiness in the upper corners proves overheating?

Did other glass cleaners fail before Sprayway?

I haven't had this stove very long but when I first got it I was choking it down too much and the glass got really dirty. I tried a different glass cleaner (don't remember which one) and it didn't do a very good job. I resorted to using a razor blade and ashes to get the glass clean. When I used the Sprayway the glass wasn't in really bad shape but it cleaned it good. It would be worth a try using other glass cleaners.

I bet you overheated it. In which case nothing will "clean" it. Would need to buff it or replace if you want it clear.

I use Weiman glass cook top cleaner, works like a charm in my situation. Ten years and over forty cords of mixed species have not had a problem keeping the glass looking new.

Reactions: Charles2
If they are crumbling and decaying rapidly, then replace them.
Just did my yearly cleaning. One brick was cracked in half. Should I replace it?

Also, most years I have burned hardwood, and when I clean the chimney I get about 2 cups of fine, black soot. This past winter, I burned mostly pine, and my cleaning yielded about a gallon of coarser, dark brown soot. Does the change in quality and quantity of soot seem about right to y'all?

Just did my yearly cleaning. One brick was cracked in half. Should I replace it?

Also, most years I have burned hardwood, and when I clean the chimney I get about 2 cups of fine, black soot. This past winter, I burned mostly pine, and my cleaning yielded about a gallon of coarser, dark brown soot. Does the change in quality and quantity of soot seem about right to y'all?
If it's a standard firebrick then maybe just exchange the cracked brick with a floor brick that is in good condition.

If it's a standard firebrick then maybe just exchange the cracked brick with a floor brick that is in good condition.
By firebrick, I mean a floor brick. Does the Englander 17-VL use standard firebricks?

At the beginning of this thread, I said that my firebricks were shrinking. But now I'm not so sure. I think it could be the surrounding, less dense vertical boards that are shrinking, because when I replaced the one on the left side with a new board, the floor firebricks now fit perfectly snug lengthwise. Does this sound plausible to anyone?

Added 17-VL to the title.
The floor firebricks are standard. I wouldn't worry about a crack in one unless it is crumbling badly.

Reactions: Charles2