Shrunk fiber baffle in a Quad 3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
Just curious if there is something odd with the fiberboard and fiberglass like material above it in my Quadrafire 3100 freestanding stove.. Before my first fire a few nights ago, I noticed it lying on the top of the secondary burn tubes so I lifted it up, pushed it back so it's flush with the rear (as per the instructions in the manual) but noticed that the sides don't really go far enough to keep it raised as if the board shrunk somehow and is too small for the support. Right now, it's just at a slight angle so I can get the corners to hit the support. Is this normal??? I've only used this stove for 1 full winter and this is the start of my second winter of burning and I had the flue cleaned this past summer so I think they had to remove the board to clean the flue.

Jay

Is it square or rectangular in shape?
I have a Quad 2100i and the baffle is fiber only, no glass.

I presume it's rectangular since I think the stove is not a perfect square. There is an indentation in the sides above the firebrick and above the secondary burn tubes that the board and the baffle sit on top of. The board is some kind of fiber material and the insulation just sits on top of this board.

Jay

I'll check, I don't know the dimensions of the stove off the top of my head (I'm at work) but the board isn't far enough that I can't get it on the shelf, but if I make the back side flush to the back and then one of the sides flush to the side, the other end wont reach the other shelf. I can just kind of play with it til both ends are just on the shelf. I will go in there tonight and measure it to see if it is truly reversed or not.

Jay

In my stove the fiberboard is suppose to be lying right on the top of the secondary burn tubes. It also saids to push it to the back.
Don

it is supposed to lay on top of the tubes. The insulation lays over that edge, but the board fits inside it. It was probably installed correctly when you unboxed the unit.

Oh, OK, The problem is I had my flue cleaned and had to remove the piece and I must of tried to put it back up with a gap between the tube.. and I didn't remember the original installation, which the manual doesn't say anything other than reverse steps 2-4 to install it when cleaning the flue.

Thanks,
Jay

Best way to get it all back in, is to leave the back tube in, and have the front one nearby. Then fold the insulation on top the baffle, jam it up there and then unfold the insulation. While holding it with one hand put the front tube back in to support it. Make sure the insulation is sealing up all the way around for the best secondary burn action.

That baffle is pretty fragile, so be careful.
My stove came with a broken baffle which they replaced, but I used the broken one for some pipe sweating fiasco I was attempting, and it does appear to break pretty easily.

I just had a customer call me today looking for a 2700I baffle because he broke it. $64, he said he would see how the broken one works.

Well, I carefully slid it back down so that it is lying flush to the sec. burn tubes and then simply moved the 'glass so that the front is flush with the baffle as per the manual. Looking at the picture on the bottom, I see that it does show the board flush with the tubes, I must not have noticed it when I was reading the manual on the reinstallation...

Thanks!

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.