Shut down for the season.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoot23

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2012
Alfred, Me
Cleaned from top to bottom, inside and out. Everything. The lint eater works great. Took out the exauhst probe and did the whole pipe. Thanks for the info on that trick. 2012-06-16 16.23.52.jpg

Is your ash pan big enough to put the Damp Rid in? I put mine in the Ash pan, its still open to the firebox and its out of site. Also because I put the fake Fire logs in for the Summer. Only time I use them. Gives it more appeal.

Looks good though. Good job. It gives a person a sense of accomplishment and pride.

Hoot 23,
Looks good ! Like the damprid, i do same thing,but still gotta pick some up to put in stove.
Cleaned stove top to bottom last weekend. Hard to believe was still burning (a little in morning) in june !

Switched it to the ash pan. I've always read on here in the burn pot. Makes more sense in the ash pan, outta sight. Been wanting to try the lint eater and leaf blower.

Hoot 23,
Looks good ! Like the damprid, i do same thing,but still gotta pick some up to put in stove.
Cleaned stove top to bottom last weekend. Hard to believe was still burning (a little in morning) in june !

Thanks, took almost two hours, took the exauhst fan off and wire brushed, removed and cleaned the ESP probe. The ash was sticky, kinda like tar. Took awhile to scrape off. Green supreme were the last pellets I ran through it. If those are the reason for the sticky ash. That was the last bag I'll ever buy.

Switched it to the ash pan. I've always read on here in the burn pot. Makes more sense in the ash pan, outta sight. Been wanting to try the lint eater and leaf blower.

Not specifically in the burn pot. But anywhere in the firebox. It all shares the same air space (in most models, some have ash pans that are not open air to the firebox/burn pot area).

Having a Clean stove is nice for the Summer... Here is mine with the Logs in it.index-20.jpeg index-10.jpeg

Looks good Dex, thinking about getting logs for mine. Are they a pain to clean? With the harman shut down, had to move outside to get my fire fix.2012-06-16 18.44.59.jpg

They are a Pain to clean.... Thats why I only use them in the Summer. In the Winter, take them out (keep them clean) and burn without them.. When used in the fire, they do end up wearing out and breaking down. Some people here have gone through a set or two before they stopped using them during season and only used them during the Summer months, for aesthetics (curb appeal).

I just built a fire pit myself 2 weeks ago, had the 1st fire last weekend. My last "pit" was just a place we burned wood (no rocks and nothing special). This one is complete with Firebrick cooking area. Big thanks to Scotty Overkill for the Keyhole design. Here is the building of the pit and the Swedish Candle

pit5.jpg

That is very nice pit, my father would enjoy the fact that you can cook on it. Just went with rocks for mine, the price was right. Now you got the key to unlock good times.

That Swedish candle is pretty damn cool. Would it work with oak or maple?

That Swedish candle is pretty damn cool. Would it work with oak or maple?

Yeah. Will work with any wood.. Depending on the Maple, it could burn in a couple months. The wood has to season (dry) properly. Your looking to get the wood below 20% Moisture content. Oak can take up to 3 yrs to properly season and get below that # (its some Dense chit, dont believe me, ask the guys in the woodshed!).

If its Silver Maple (Soft Maple) then within a month to 3 months, they should burn like Wildfire, especially if you use smaller rounds and make the splits smaller (more area, less wood, quicker drying). Oak will definitely take awhile and will likely smolder and boil out if not seasoned properly.

Ash has a very low moisture content to begin with. So it seasons rather fast. Here are some smaller ash candles.
.2012-06-08_20-32-35_984.jpg

Thx, will be doing one soon.

Hoot-how many bags of pellets did you burn and what brand? Your firebrick looks very dirty compared to mine. I have burned 2.5 ton in mine so far and the firebrick looks brand new still. Mainly burned Greene Team but also tried a handful of other bags. NEWP/Green Supreme, MWP hardwood, Maine's Choice. Couple others too that I can't think of right now.

They didn't start to look like that till I started trying different brands. I started wit a 1/2 ton of logic, 1 ton Lg's, 1/2 ton Mcfeeters, 10 bags VT's, 10 bags Green team. They cleaned up nice after those. When the weather started warming, I was buying a couple of bags of all sorts. Trebio, Geneva, MWP blend and soft, Northern, Spruce pointe, Okies, and the last to go in the hopper was Green supreme. When I was cleaning there was sticky coating on everything inside. Took everything out, including the firebricks and exhaust fan blade and wire brush really well. The fan came clean, but the bricks are stained. How do you clean yours?

They didn't start to look like that till I started trying different brands. I started wit a 1/2 ton of logic, 1 ton Lg's, 1/2 ton Mcfeeters, 10 bags VT's, 10 bags Green team. They cleaned up nice after those. When the weather started warming, I was buying a couple of bags of all sorts. Trebio, Geneva, MWP blend and soft, Northern, Spruce pointe, Okies, and the last to go in the hopper was Green supreme. When I was cleaning there was sticky coating on everything inside. Took everything out, including the firebricks and exhaust fan blade and wire brush really well. The fan came clean, but the bricks are stained. How do you clean yours?

Hoot23,

That black crap likely needs to be burned off, shoulder season burning can produce a lot of it especially if you get lax on cleaning and don't or can't match your burn air supply to each pellet type and brand burned. We won't even touch on any possible slight mis-adjustment of the stove at installation.

Mine always just brushes off with a quick swipe from a cheap paint brush from HD. No elbow grease.

Is your ash pan big enough to put the Damp Rid in? I put mine in the Ash pan, its still open to the firebox and its out of site. Also because I put the fake Fire logs in for the Summer. Only time I use them. Gives it more appeal.

Looks good though. Good job. It gives a person a sense of accomplishment and pride.

So you dump the DampRid into the ashpan? I didn't think of that. Mine looks allot like the picture

So you dump the DampRid into the ashpan? I didn't think of that. Mine looks allot like the picture

No... Place the container of Damp Rid in the Ash Pan. That way you cant see it. If you empty the contents into the ash pan, the water will sit in it. Inside the container, it drops down into the bottom.

If your ash pan is big enough for the container. If not, inside the firebox is fine. I just prefer not to see it. Thats my personal taste. I pit the logs in for the Summer (appearance only).

Status
Not open for further replies.