Shut Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
Shut down the stove for the season today. Did a full clean, leaf blower and oil sprayed the inside. Will be getting damp rid here soon. Also covered the outside pipe with plastic to keep humidity out. Everyone have a nice summer. I will be shopping for 3 tons this summer as I already have 1 ton in garage. This last winter season I used a little over 4 tons.

I have the Fahrenheit all cleaned up, plugged up, painted, and power cord unplugged. The Quad will prob be done next weekend. There were 2 nights it kicked on, this last week.

I wont use Propane to heat, so Im gonna give it one more week. . . Got everything ready....

What are Somersets going for in Michigan now?

I'm right on the verge of shutting the stove for the summer, but we keep getting these occcasional 40::F nights. But it will get cleaned and put away for the summer......VERY soon.

Been 3 days since mine ran and only warmer weather ahead. I think I'm done too. I'll do a full clean sometime this week and block off the vent for summer.

still hoping to be able to shut it down by june.:eek:

Still have not cleaned mine, been a while since I turned it on. I did today for a while, it is in the 50's here and I did it to burn off the damp feeling a bit but then it got way to warm even on low settings.

Haven't run mine in two days, but cool nights are still possible, so am deferring the final cleaning.

The one thing I did hear that needs to be "encouraged" is the part about unplugging the stove when not in use. While I now have surg protectors on on many things, I have lost a few expensive items with electronics in them from power surges experienced during a thunder storm. The very best surge protection is from disconnection....(Defient, I'm talking about electrical cords!)

One more week and it is final cleaning for the season time. Though I haven't cleaned mine in about 2 months. Only used about 3 bags a week though.

Still turning it on occasionally in the morning. Warm weather just doesn't want to cooperate.

Sig says it all.

Besides it is time for outdoor work and getting ready for winter. Only two seasons in Maine Winter and getting ready for Winter. Just ask any native Mainer.

Reactions: smoke show
Status
Not open for further replies.