Shut off for outside air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DerAK

Nov 9, 2011
MN
First off: Thank you everyone for all the great info on the forum! I've been a lurker/learner for the past year or so and all the expertise has been invaluable!

Sorry for the long post but I am looking for ideas and advice for how to selectively shut off my OAK and/or control cold air flow into it.

When it is cold out and I'm not burning (yes, that seems counterintuitive), condensation/puddle/frost/ice/rust will form in the bottom of the unit (Opel 2) where the OAK intake is. The reason for the condensation is because there is only about 6-8 inches of duct between the side of the unit where the intake is, through the wall, to the outside. So basically I have a 4" hole in the wall with only a piece of sheet metal separating the inside from the outside, hence the condensation.

My solution so far has been to run outside when I’m done burning (about midnight and usually -10F) to put a piece of foam in the intake. This works wonderfully other than the running outside part. The alternative solution is to leave the foam in place and switch the intake baffle to use inside air. However, I’ve found that my specific set up seems to burn better on the OAK so I would like to keep it. In addition, I’m going to be installing a new wood stove in my basement (T6) and I would like to create a similar selectable in/outside air setup for that too. That way I have the option and can test to see what works better. I would rather do it now and not need it, than to wonder if I should have done it.

My thoughts are to use a good, positive sealing louver/baffle of some type either manual or powered (and in a perfect world temp actuated!!). I realize I will have to create this system myself but I’m having some trouble just finding a louver/baffle other than HVAC zone baffles that don’t really seal that well. For the basement maybe I could get by with duct in an inverted U as a trap but I’m thinking it would be best to have a louver/baffle on that too (just in case).

Thank you for any thoughts or parts sources!
-Derek

Ja, I had the same problem on my RSF Onyx. Here's a link to my thread on how I did the positive OAK shutoff.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42594/
100_0381.JPG

Thank you very much!! I just thought of something very similar the other day, now I know it will work. I'll try it on the Opel for this season since it is too late this year to tear it all apart.

For the new wood stove, just today I found that Broan has like what Bob (thank you Bob for the reply post) posted but it looks like it actually has a rubber seal on the damper.
http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=100744

And last week wandering the aisles of Menard's I happened upon this gem:
http://www.suncourt.com/Suncourt DuctStat.html

I think I have an automated solution between the two of them! I'll post when I have a new update.
-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.