shutting down the eko for the summer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just wondering if I should close off the valves to the wood boiler for the summer ro leave them open
I was also planning on turning off the controller for the boiler as well. is there a recomended shutdown for the eko? thanks in advance guys

Len

The manual is quite vague on shutdown. They basically just tell you to get all of the ashes out, do some scraping and leave the doors open to avoid trapping moisutre inside. I scraped the loose stuff off the inside walls in both chambers, vacuumed completely, stuffed a towel into the flue pipe and will be putting two canisters of desiccant (one upper, one lower) inside when I get them next week. I'll then close the doors and wait for Spring.

Come Fall I do want to tear into the HX tubes/turbulators a bit. Even though the EKO Super has the built in cleaners I still want to get in to clean them once a year. I just didn't feel like removing the turbs this Spring...

The only valve I close is the one at the auto-fill just so I don't pump out a bunch of water if I spring a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.