SHW24/50 Summers Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PunKid8888

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
South East NH
I am trying to find some more information/experiences with this stove. I did a couple searches and found nothing.

I don't know much about the stove except for what I read on the owners manual online. its seams to have a good efficiency and has a catalytic converter, but other then that I know nothing.

I ask because there is one on Craig's list for pretty cheap.

I have a smaller house 1000sq ranch, I am looking for cheap and efficient if there is such a thing.

Try searching for the 24-ACD. It is the twin to the stove you are looking at except for the branding

So I did a search and did find a couple threads about it.

What would you pay for a used one? at first I thought it was cheap but now looking into it more they weren't to much money to begin with. Also it needs glass (70$) and I think the Cat is original.

Pricewise I dunno. Seen a few go onEbay, but don't remember how much. I wouldn't mind having one, since I like cat stoves. You may want to PM Mike er stoveguy2esw. He's a guru on these things. He should be able to give you a ballpark idea on what it's worth, or even whether it's worth putting money into. Keep us posted.

Yeah Mike Holton, stoveguy2esw, would be a good one to send a PM. Besides being the customer service manager for England's Stove Works he heated his own house for something like 15 years with a 24-ACD.

yep, i can pretty much tell ya anything ya wanna know about it , good solid unit did me well for 13 years, or if ya want you could call my shop (number is 800-245-6489) 8-5 mon-fri, i have techs manning the phones even this time of year for questions just like yours. give us a shout or drop me a PM.

So far the more I read the more I like the stove. and I think it looks really interesting with those heat transfer tubes.

two questions

How often do these stoves go through Cats. (I think I am going to pull off the inspection cover before buying it)

How well does it compare to the new NC 13 as far as heat output and efficiency.

Thanks

PunKid8888 said:
So far the more I read the more I like the stove. and I think it looks really interesting with those heat transfer tubes.

two questions

How often do these stoves go through Cats. (I think I am going to pull off the inspection cover before buying it)

How well does it compare to the new NC 13 as far as heat output and efficiency.

Thanks

ok,
catalysts generally last several years , more if properly maintained and the unit is used properly my cat lasted about 9 years (this isnt entirely accurate as i pulled it out while still quite functional to test a different cat we were looking at at the time so i would have gotten more out of it) this though is likely the exception , i would expect cats to last a minimum of 5 years to 7 years on average. but they can be damaged by misuse, throwing wet wood on a hot fire can cause thermal shock which will kill a cat quickly. burning green wood isnt really that good for them. burning colored paper (especially christmas wrapping paper) can break down a cat as well, overfiring it.. etc.

as far as comparison with the 13, it doesnt run quite as hot IMHO but runs a longer burn time and it is rated at a higher square footage in coverage. cat stoves in general tend to run longer burn times than similar non-cats but do not radiate as much , the heat manifold in the acd does a great job of moving heat from the cat out into the room however. in a close contest if i had it to do again and both were available i would choose the acd over the 13 for the longer burn times alone though both are great stoves. the 13 does have one advantage as it is simpler to operate as you would burn it in a similar fashion to an old fashioned stove whereas with the cat stove you would light it , allow the stove to heat and fire the cat then close the bypass and set your draft, its slightly more involved than the "fire and forget aspect of a non-cat. both have advantages and disadvantages personally i like cat stoves.

as for inspecting the cat , by all means , do so , you will need a 9/16th wrench to pull the baffle and a 3/16th allen to pull the cast blank off the back to access the top of the cat. make sure that if the cat is damged you show that to your seller and explain that the cat is the heart of this stove and they are quite expensive (about 185.00 for the ac-6c3 cat we use in that model )

hope this helps ya and if you think of anything else you know where to find me, even check my signature line at the bottom of the post if you wish to e mail me about the unit (thats why its there) make sure you use the "summer" e mail as i do not field e mail at work in the summer i have someone for that as im not at my desk at all.

oh, one more thing , i notice you have a 25-pdvc, that unit takes the same glass (ac-g9) as the acd does if you are replacing the pellet stove for wood, you will need to replace the gasket on that glass when installing on the woodstove should you go that route.

stoveguy2esw said:
...i do not field e mail at work in the summer i have someone for that as im not at my desk at all.

Drop the hood in the summer do we?

Thanks Mike, That is exactly the info I was looking for. I think the longer burn time is more ideal, and I am not afraid of a couple more levers, haha.

Honestly I thought your stove brand would be bad just because they were offered in the big name brand stores and were a lot cheaper then your competition. But between this site and my own experience with the pellet stove last year I loved it. I only had one problem all season, a bad auger motor, but you guys talked me through a quick repair to get me by while you sent me a new one. I was extremely impressed.

I am going to wood because the pellet burning did not do it for me, something about coming home and pushing button was not rewarding. not to mention the pellet prices. I am putting the pellet stove in my work shop to replace the smoke dragon in there, I think it will be perfect out there.

I am really excited about this stove, I am going to take a look and hopefully buy it tomorrow. and I will get some pics of it too.

PunKid8888 said:
I am going to wood because the pellet burning did not do it for me, something about coming home and pushing button was not rewarding. not to mention the pellet prices.

And with a pellet stove in a pinch you can't burn the furniture. :lol:

also I had no power for 6 days after the ice storm, it would have been real nice to have wood stove. instead I had to wait 2 days until my friend brought a generator, by then the house was 45F

Well it was a no go. The stove was in fair shape but it had a crack in the Cat, and the glass was completely missing (i thought it just had a crack) it also had a lot of creasot. I tried to talk down the women but she was firm on her price and did no budge. It was still a decent price but her unwilling to even bargain really made it sour especially after I found the crack in the Cat. I figure its the beginning of summer and oil prices are still low, so good luck trying to sell it. I think the part that made it really annoying is she first told me it came with the house and they did not want a woodstove in the room because it took up too much room, but then after trying to bargain with her she said if it did not sell she would hook it back up. so its not like she spend any money on the stove she was trying to recoup. I don't know I sometime don't understand how people think. I guess I will keep looking.

How much did she want for the stove?

$300

PunKid8888 said:

essentially just under half of retail at 300 bucks, that stove sold between 799 and 899 during its run, and was a very successful unit for us. with you needing the glass (70 bucks) and a cat (180 bucks) you would have been close to (but not quite) retail. stove itself in quite good condition otherwise might have been a good buy, creosoted up it was probably not run as well as it could have though not harmed by that might have been a bugger to clean out before fixing and putting into use. still isnt a horrible buy but you arent far from the 13 now with that cost and would get a factory warranty with a new unit.

or you may run across another one, let me know if i can help again in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.