Sick of my gas bill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

axiomnj

Jan 10, 2014
New Jersey
Hey guys,
New to the forum here so I hope this is in the right spot. I currently have a wonderful (sarcasm) pre fab fireplace. It is a FMI Baja 3600. Im looking to get an insert for supplemental heat. Ive looked at the quadrafire 2700i ACC, Regency I1200, a Loti (sp?), and have even resorted googling "extra small fireplace inserts. Which brings me to my problem, every insert I have looked at is too large for my prefab. The closest I came was the I1200 but the rear width was too large. I just wanted to pick some brains, as I am running out of ideas. I have considered getting a ZC stove, but for what I want the insert for, that route is more money and effort than I care to spend.

Heres a link for my current prefab: http://www.desatech.com/manuals/Woodburning Units/model_01516_manual_54070C.pdf

Below is a picture of the fireplace. If I do in fact get an insert, yes I will be addressing the haphazard electronic placement I did. Also, no space heater jokes -.-

Thanks everyone,
Garrett in NJ
IMG_0923.JPG

Paging begreen & Hogwildz...

Would it be feasible to put a free stander in another area of your house?

unfortunately no. i was reading some other posts on here about freestanding stoves that are able to partially be installed inside the fireplace? i think my hearth is somewhat too shallow for that though.

What about putting up a new chimney?

Can't even guess without knowing the inside dimensions of that thing.

It looks like your firebox is 28 3/16" to the underneath side of the top . The castine is 28 1/2 tall, but the rear outlet is below that. The castine is a nice stove.

brotherbart,

the link in my OP is all the dimensions for it. The Height is 21 7/16. Front W is 29 3/4. Rear Width is 17. Depth is 15 1/4.

Gandrimp,

Im not opposed to a free standing stove. Id rather an insert if I can (just personal aesthetics). My hearth is about 20 1/4" deep. Now when the pipe leaves the rear outlet, Im assuming its exposed correct? Sorry, I'm really elementary at this. I appreciate the help.

If that's all wood around the fireplace opening, I'm afraid that, no matter what you decide is feasible heater-wise, all that wood is in jeopardy of having to be removed. Welcome to Hearth.com! Rick

yea its all garbage trim. i do plan on tiling, moving the tv up a tad, and changing the mantle. We just bought the house about 2 years ago. Forced hot air + Cathedral ceiling room where the tstat is = my gas meter is at risk of taking off its spinning so fast.

Bart,
If I'm reading that correctly, is that pretty much an external insert? Id have to extend my hearth as mine is only 20 1/4" at the moment. Also do they make a leg kit for that? the opening of my fireplace sits up about 4-6 inches.

can you create a hearth pad (taking out some of the wood floor) and install a free standing rear vented wood stove (as has been already mentioned)? Here is a photo of my setup to give you an idea. I don't have a hearth because the floor is concrete....

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 278
If you don't mind the stove taking up room I would go with a free standing stove extended outwards from the fireplace imo. But It gets pretty dang hot above the stove and that whole area may become off limits to putting a television and having expensive electronic equipment near by. The radius 1-3 feet around my stove especially above it (where your TV is) is frequently >100. Of course electronics should be able to handle that but I still worry about it...

Couldn't he get a top vent stove and effectively "punch" a hole in the wall (where the TV is) to gain access to the chimney (so long as appropriate structures and heat sheilding was applied)? If there were problems with a rear vent stove making into the current opening?

another question i have is does the btu rating of the new whatever i get need to not exceed the btu rating of my prefab? because i cant find a btu rating for my prefab.

What are the actual fireplace firebox dimensions we have to work with?

It would be tight, but an Enviro Kodiak 1200 might fit. Two other small guys are the Lopi Answer and the Country Striker C160. Checking them out now.

the kodiak and the lopi are too large...i was (after the suggestion) considering the Regency H2100. my question was do I have to make sure my prefab fireplace is rated for a certain btu?

i just read about the country striker c160. It seems to be able to fit if I remove the firebricks on the inside. I was under the impression this was a no no but it says I can do it in the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.