Sick of my gas bill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small jotul f100 in a small brick fireplace, it has rear and bottom heat shields and is about 20"x22"x17" deep might something like that work for you, Good luck.

If I could heat for $200 - $300 per month, it would be tough to find financial justification for the start up costs associated with wood burning.
I save maybe $200 a month by not having to use my gas furnace and to me its very worth while. I can have it 80 degrees in the house and it doesnt cost me anything extra. As far as start up costs, he can do it on the cheaper side of things. My start up cost was a chain saw, splitting maul and a wood furnace, best $$1500 i ever spent and after 2 winters that has paid for itself. He doesnt have to have the best of everything to start out, he can build into that over time. I say go for it, just research and carefully plan out how your going to do it. No better feelign than getting that gas bill and seeing 0 therms used.

Status
Not open for further replies.