Sick of paying for propane...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Girvil

Sep 4, 2014
Nashua NH
Hi,

I'm interested in the Biowin or Kedel pellet boiler. My house is heated with a hot air furnace, so I will need a water to air coil. A heat load calculation puts me at 70k btu/hr.
The only major requirement is that I need a boiler that vents thru the wall - I do not have a chimney.

What options do I have?

How about a pellet furnace since you heat with air currently?

Pellet furnaces are a lot cheaper..

What temp does your house lose 70k btu/hr thats a huge heat loss or a huge house or your missing the side of your house.

House is 3000sf, finished basement @ 1000sf and a garage. Walls are 2x6 construction, closed cell foam insulated. Ceiling has 2" of spray foam, the rest is blown cellulose...
I did not see too many pellet furnaces on the market, with the exception of Harman...
I would prefer not to install a metal chimney along the exterior wall. Is there an option to vent out like a gas fireplace, with just a cap at the house penetration?

Hi,

I'm interested in the Biowin or Kedel pellet boiler. My house is heated with a hot air furnace, so I will need a water to air coil. A heat load calculation puts me at 70k btu/hr.
The only major requirement is that I need a boiler that vents thru the wall - I do not have a chimney.

What options do I have?
Try asking in the Boiler room forum. I don't think there's a direct vent option, but you never know until you ask.

Both Harman boiler and furnace can be direct vented. And I assume that with higher efficiency units, flue gas temperature will be lower...

Thank you for the links. Comparing all the units, only Fahrenheit has automatic cleaning, but the BTUs are a bit low for my case.
I travel a lot for work and my wife will not be pleased with me by making her clean the pot.... Happy wife, happy life! That was the reason for looking for a higher automated boiler / furnace...

I own a Biowin. It cannot be direct vented.

I looked at the Harman PB105 before i made my purchase. IMO it's not in the same league as the Windhager and Kedel.

If you do not have a chimney where does the exhaust from your current furnace go?

My propane furnace power vents thru PVC pipe.
It's a shame that the European pellet boilers do not direct vent. But the devil in me asks "what if I do?" I assume there is a modulating draft blower since it has an oxygen sensor...
Anyone has a manual for the Biowin? Can't find any online...

My propane furnace power vents thru PVC pipe.
It's a shame that the European pellet boilers do not direct vent. But the devil in me asks "what if I do?" I assume there is a modulating draft blower since it has an oxygen sensor...
Anyone has a manual for the Biowin? Can't find any online...

I have one but it is a printed copy. You should get in touch with Marc Caluwe if you're truly interested.

You could use a 3 ton heat pump in the furnace and maybe 2low ambient temp heating ductless splits to supplement certain rooms. Then use the endurance 50F only when those cant keep up in emergency or when the electricity is expensive during the day hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.