Side Arm Heat Exchangers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zgambill

Oct 26, 2010
North Carolina Mountains
Has anyone had any experience with side arm heat exchangers for water heaters. I have a new Garn wood boiler (I LOVE IT) and have installed a side arm heat exchanger on the side of my 80 gal. electric water heater. I have connected the primary supply from my Garn to the top of the side arm heat exchanger. It only will get the top 30 to 40 gallons of water in the tank hot. It also has a very slow recovery time. Can anyone give suggestions for quicker recovery.

i don't have experience with the side arm, but it seems to me that you could put a small pump on the dhw side and circulate the water thru the exchanger the opposite flow direction as the boiler water.

Status
Not open for further replies.