Side-by-Side Chimneys (one gas, one wood)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mminor

Sep 11, 2015
Long Island NY
Hello,

Attached is a picture of the side of my house.

There are two chimneys side-by-side (joined together). The chimney on the left exists today and will remain to house the exhaust from our gas boiler. The chimney on the right - we are adding for our Northstar wood burning fireplace.

Question to the experts - can the two chimney caps be the same height? Is this contingent on my states's (New York) codes? Or does one need to be higher than the other and by how much?

Thanks so much for your help,
Matt

Plainview Chimneys.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this contingent on my states's (New York) codes?
Yes that is what determines it. Generally there are no problems doing it this way but in some situation you can get smoke down the gas flue or vice versa.

Yes, you may want to have the fireplace cap terminate about a foot higher to lessen the chance of smoke downdrafting into the gas chimney.

Reactions: bjkjoseph
Thanks so much to Bholler and Begreen for your super-fast responses they were very helpful to me, as usual!

Thanks again,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.