side by side utv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kartracer, I've been looking for one too (although comparing it to a quad for fun vs. work). Perhaps they're not very common up here, but I can never find them on Craigslist or for sale used.

The ones I see up here are Kubota, Deere's Gator, and Polaris.

S

I have a 2009 RZR. I haven't used it for work yet, but plan on towing some cart loads of wood soon.

kartracer said:
Those of ya'll that have a side by side,what kind is it?I'd like to have an rzr,but I need one that can do some work.

This is our Rhino 450, works great for us. I'm in a area with alot of hills and it handles them without any problems.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0354.jpg
    100_0354.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 625
I also have a 450 Rhino, best piece of equipment I think I ever bought, it's an 06 model and have never had any problems, neighbor has a 700 Rhino that he takes mudding through the ponds and occasionly drowns it and after servicing it he is gone again. Neighbors told me I needed to get myself a Rhino since my wife has one, She loves it,for running around the yard and neighborhood. (My yard it kinda large we only mow 3 1/3 acres of it,neighborhood is dirt roads.)We haul wood, dirt, hay,pull spliters,trees, vehicles,trailers,go ridding around, hauling grandson,hunting, fishing,and whatever. So far I have just put in gas,wheel spacers,and regular service.oil changes filters etc... You will love it and wonder how you got along without it.

M said:
I also have a 450 Rhino, best piece of equipment I think I ever bought, it's an 06 model and have never had any problems, neighbor has a 700 Rhino that he takes mudding through the ponds and occasionly drowns it and after servicing it he is gone again. Neighbors told me I needed to get myself a Rhino since my wife has one, She loves it,for running around the yard and neighborhood. (My yard it kinda large we only mow 3 1/3 acres of it,neighborhood is dirt roads.)We haul wood, dirt, hay,pull spliters,trees, vehicles,trailers,go ridding around, hauling grandson,hunting, fishing,and whatever. So far I have just put in gas,wheel spacers,and regular service.oil changes filters etc... You will love it and wonder how you got along without it.

We bought one of these for the Rhino, will have it before the weekend.

http://www.butchhitch.com/

zap

I have a Kubota RTV 500. It is not as fast as the Rhino, so for play, the Rhino blows it away. For work however - I have rails up the side of the dump bed, I can load it with wood to basically the top of the roll cage - it will carry anything, and go anywhere. I use it in mud, in snow, climb it over anything. I think it is a tough work UTV. I think it is the better work vehicle than the others - that is the reason I bought it.

It has some drawbacks, the biggest, a bench seat instead of bucket seats, and no shift on the fly.

Just to not start some flame war, if I was buying to work and play, the Rhino and wood trailer, if I was buying just to work, the Kubota (and you don't need a trailer), and that is just my opinion.

I do agree though, once you have one and use it for awhile, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

My JD Gator 850D w/hydraulic dump is the only reason I am able to do any outside work. Us it to pick up mail, go back and forth to the farm, process and haul firewood, rocks, brush, tools, yard waste, etc. Those four wheels replace my two legs once I leave the house. The diesel engine is built for doing work-not for joy riding. It is pricey but well worth the money in my situation. Very highly recommended. John_M

I have a couple of ATV's, but my favorite is my Polaris UTV. I have the dump box and it's a must for working. I carry my saws, wood, the dog etc. It rides smooth, has a powerful 700 cc engine, steers easy, rides the steep trails as well as my Arctic Cat or my Yamaha. The engine is quiet and by me you can ride UTV'S on the roads. So 55 mph and down to the gas station I go. Fuel injection is a must if you live where it's cold, especially if you want to plow. It's the nicest thing I bought in a long time and well worth the money. By the way it tows my splitter, my boat, and anything else I want to pull, hope that helps

They sure are nice for working my BILs neighbor has one with dump bed, cab , heat and plow. Sure looks alot nicer than my ATV for plowing the driveway and he says it can haul a huge amount in the dump bed. Never knew they were street legal ?

I have been looking into something for awhile. I am serious about the Rhino, but am also looking at the Mules. personally I like the bench seat, you can fit 3 adults unlike the Rhino where you can only fit two.

I dont know much about other brands, but I will say I am 100% pleased with my Polaris Ranger 4X4. I bought it new in 2005, have hauled 15+ cords of wood in it and litterally 100's of loads of mulch/sand/gravel/field stone. etc. in it. Not to mention harvested game and hunting equiptment and the dog(s). My wife uses it as much if not more than I do and the kids ride in it all the time. Since I have had it, the ONLY money I have put in it is the annual service at the dealer. oil/fliters. Go figure, I dont have any pics with wood in it, but I can load it so that I cant squeeze in another split and it will haul it no problem, out of the woods.

Those Rhino's are getting affordable now!! I love it when they make a new 700 efi; the 660 carbed was great, now it's cheap!! My friend pushes snow with a Rzr and a Rhino, and the Polaris Rzr IS faster, but the Yammy has had less issues. Both are good units.

what do you consider cheap

Thats what I was thinking. I wonder if an old cheap rust bucket jeep wouldn't do much of the same? Not as pretty - but you could beat it up and work it hard without concern since you paid dirt for it. Put Farm USE on the back and have at it. I could never drop that much coin on a Rhino or other.

I jsut priced the lesser Mule 600 and they are $6,900...the Mule 4010 start around $9k! to me, that aint cheap

Well, I "think" they start out around 9k for new? on the rhino and around 11 for the rzr, right? I have seen 660 Rhinos around for 6400 with ALOT of add ons. Thats the thing, people trick them out with nice wheels/tires, winches, windshields, and everything else the aftermarket will sell their rich butts, and then sell them for half price of new when the "new" model comes out... I even saw one with tracks that was for around 7500- the tracks alone sell for around 3k!!

Ya have to watch out for frame rot on the jeeps, common issue. Up front it is where the steering box bolts to the frame and over all where the spring shackles bolt up.

Status
Not open for further replies.