• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maine er

Oct 21, 2016
Maine
New to the site- and I have been scouring this forum for weeks now, and have found a ton of useful info.

Hoping you guys can help with this, first a little background information.

Just picked up a sweet deal on an '08 Jotul C450 for $500! it was used minimally and is going to provide my oil burning home with a nice supplemental heat source. I am planning to self install - direct liner full length of chimney with block off plate. That part should go well - my existing clay flue is about 7x11 and will be installing a 6" SS liner.

My issue is this, the side wall clearance listed for the 450 is 44" from center of the insert if produced prior to 2014. After 2014 it shrinks to 27"! Not sure what design change they made here - but regardless my stove falls into the prior to 2014 rule. My issue is that I have built in cabinetry that is directly adjacent to my hearth - wood cabinets - stick out maybe 12" from the face of the hearth. This gives me maybe 34" clearance to my cabinets - a far cry from 44".

Thinking I have two options
1. Remove built-ins and rework by building some cabinets that are within the approved clearance.
2. Utilize some heat shields on the face of the cabinet adjacent to the hearth. Looking at AL or Cu sheets cut to size and mounted with 1" spacers.

Does option 2 seem reasonable to you? There is no listed clearance for side walls with a shield - however I have read that you can reduce sidewall clearance by 67% utilizing a heat shield. Looking for some input on this - as it is somewhat the easy way out vs rebuilding my cabinets.. Thx.

New to the site- and I have been scouring this forum for weeks now, and have found a ton of useful info.

Hoping you guys can help with this, first a little background information.

Just picked up a sweet deal on an '08 Jotul C450 for $500! it was used minimally and is going to provide my oil burning home with a nice supplemental heat source. I am planning to self install - direct liner full length of chimney with block off plate. That part should go well - my existing clay flue is about 7x11 and will be installing a 6" SS liner.

My issue is this, the side wall clearance listed for the 450 is 44" from center of the insert if produced prior to 2014. After 2014 it shrinks to 27"! Not sure what design change they made here - but regardless my stove falls into the prior to 2014 rule. My issue is that I have built in cabinetry that is directly adjacent to my hearth - wood cabinets - stick out maybe 12" from the face of the hearth. This gives me maybe 34" clearance to my cabinets - a far cry from 44".

Thinking I have two options
1. Remove built-ins and rework by building some cabinets that are within the approved clearance.
2. Utilize some heat shields on the face of the cabinet adjacent to the hearth. Looking at AL or Cu sheets cut to size and mounted with 1" spacers.

Does option 2 seem reasonable to you? There is no listed clearance for side walls with a shield - however I have read that you can reduce sidewall clearance by 67% utilizing a heat shield. Looking for some input on this - as it is somewhat the easy way out vs rebuilding my cabinets.. Thx.

That was a smokin good deal. This is the 2 door model? I noticed the same thing when installing mine (clearances changed when they switch to the new model). I would give jotul a call. I'm curious to hear what they say. When I have mine rocking full bore, the sides don't kick too much heat, just look at where the power cord is. My mantle clearance was tight though and noticed I would have been well within spec with the new requirements. I cant really see why they changed so much, even with the new door.

That was a smokin good deal. This is the 2 door model? I noticed the same thing when installing mine (clearances changed when they switch to the new model). I would give jotul a call. I'm curious to hear what they say. When I have mine rocking full bore, the sides don't kick too much heat, just look at where the power cord is. My mantle clearance was tight though and noticed I would have been well within spec with the new requirements. I cant really see why they changed so much, even with the new door.

Yeah 2 door model with Tamarack surround. Good to hear that yours isn't throwing excessive heat out the side. Maybe heat shields are plausible. I may have to call jotul - would love to understand what changed in the design to warrant such a big change in clearance requirements!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jwirenut
Status
Not open for further replies.