Side of burn pot melted, now has hole in it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd677

Nov 29, 2013
CT
Today I took my burn pot out to clean it and discovered a pretty large hole in the side of it. I'm going to be contacting the manufacturer as this is only my second year with the stove. I'm assuming they'll send a replacement but how could this have happened? I would have thought the pot is designed to handle temperatures of a fire. Is this common?

Attachments

• 1214141717.jpg
    1214141717.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 646
Today I took my burn pot out to clean it and discovered a pretty large hole in the side of it. I'm going to be contacting the manufacturer as this is only my second year with the stove. I'm assuming they'll send a replacement but how could this have happened? I would have thought the pot is designed to handle temperatures of a fire. Is this common?
No. Warranty?

If it were my pot I would clean it up some and weld it with some 7018 rod. Maybe 10016 if the pot's supposed to be stainless. Or lay on a simple patch.

Last edited:
Have you ever pulled the pot out before??
To me it looks like a combination of heat stress(?) and corrosion from pellets.

Does JB Weld come in a high temperature version............... :p ?

Reactions: Skier76
Reactions: F4jock
As Denyer suggests its a bandaid at best. How can it get a hold or purchase to stay on?

hmmm. i'm pretty sure the firepot is the key issue in just about all the threads about the pleasant hearth stoves.
it appears that these list for only just a few hundred less than the comparable models of heatilator eco choice stoves.

You have three options.

1/ Buy a new pot
2/ Have the pot welded
3/ Make a square plate from mild steel to cover the hole from the inside of the pot, drill two holes, one in the left top corner and one in the bottom right corner, drill two holes in the pot to match those in the plate you have made, use self tapping screws to hold the plate with the head of the screws on the inside, cut off the threaded end of the screws on the outside of the pot.

You can get mild steel sheets from Lowes or HD.

cladmaster's 3rd option seems the easiest and quickest unless you can weld or have friend that does. my experience with the furnace cement is that it hardens but becomes brittle and cracks with heat exposure. his fix should get you up and running while you pursue a warranty issue.
good luck

I agree with Bio and Cladmaster. You have a couple of options other than a replacement. If you have clearance, a plate of the same material welded over the entire area that has lost section will work. If there is little or no clearance, a filler weld and grinding will work for a time. If you have access to the correct machines, I would fabricate a replacement side plate and weld that into place. Be aware that welding may distort the assembly if too much heat applied and then your in trouble if there is a tight fit. I have a welding shop and have a few talented metal workers that work for me so I have options. I would think a replacement part would cost less for most folks.
I think that the part was possibly defective from the start. The material clearly was not up to the task. There are lots defects in plate steel from the mills these days. There is a lot of recycled steel that is full of junk that causes problems in my shop.

I think we will see more of this type issue as more stove makers are getting things done in China. Probably my car being recylced if they don't fix all the recalls. Remember the window stoves and one of their issues was bad pots.

I would sell the stove as a 2 year old stove that runs great. :)

Reactions: Bigjim13
I think we will see more of this type issue as more stove makers are getting things done in China. Probably my car being recylced if they don't fix all the recalls. Remember the window stoves and one of their issues was bad pots.

+1 on that. I believe on Flea Bay you can get a replacement pot made from real steel, not that cheesy crap that burned through.....

I have a hearthstone heritage 2nd season burned thru burn pot they replaced with a newer stainless steel one and bottom of that one is starting to crack all ready 2 months old called waiting for responds

I have a hearthstone heritage 2nd season burned thru burn pot they replaced with a newer stainless steel one and bottom of that one is starting to crack all ready 2 months old called waiting for responds

Being the metalurgist that I am (not) but having a good working knowledge of stainless alloys (in as much as my shop works with stainless in various applications every day), Actually a burn pot made from low carbon sheet is in many ways better than one made from 3 series stainless because stainless has a tendency to oxidize in an oxygen rich atmosphere (such as is found in a solid fuel stove), especially if the stainless used is of questionable composition, in other words substandard material.

I would question where the pot is fabricated at and by whom.

I'd be on the phone with the manufacturer demanding a new one and enlightening them that you are a contributing member of a VERY LARGE pellet stove forum that reviews short-comings of ALL brands of stoves. Tell them that our members and future members would love to hear about the short comings of their stoves if they refuse to replace the obviously defective part.

Reactions: F4jock
I'd be on the phone with the manufacturer demanding a new one and enlightening them that you are a contributing member of a VERY LARGE pellet stove forum that reviews short-comings of ALL brands of stoves. Tell them that our members and future members would love to hear about the short comings of their stoves if they refuse to replace the obviously defective part.

Thats slanderous...but I like it................:)

Status
Not open for further replies.