1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Side tank for overheat control?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Fred61, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    Yesterday afternoon when I went down to start my daily fire, I hung around and watched things heat up which I had not done in quite a while. The reason I did this is that my wife was doing some house cleaning and if I went upstairs she would put me to work. So while I hung around watching thermometers and feeling pipes, I realized that the by-pass to my Danfoss thermosyphoned like crazy. I know it should but I never thought much about it.

I thought if I had a side tank of cold water tied in to the supply and return of the by-pass connected with a couple N/O zone valves, it would make a good overheat dump if the power should drop out. Am I missing something?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. leaddog

leaddog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hesperia, Michigan
    It will work as long as the tank is higher than the boiler and it is connected to the top of the boiler. Just make sure you have enough volume. Also you would only need one valve as the heat won't flow as long as there isn't any flow. If you have a closed system make sure you have a tank that can hold pressure and I would put a relief valve on it for safety sake
    leaddog
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.