sidearm install help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodwood

Jun 19, 2011
cny
i am trying to install a sidearm with as little as possible new plumbing ;i have 2 hydrovalves [ball valves] on the end of out and return lines from boiler,within 5 feet of hot water heater , could i plumb the sidearm directly to the hydrovalves and then open them up,would i need to put some kind of check valve in the return line or a circulator on the other line or would the water circulate through the sidearm with just pipes any help or advice ? thanks

I agre with taxidermist as far as the install but would also like to make mention of a tempering valve which is also shown in the water heater plumbing at the top of the tank. The tempering valve will help prevent scalding by people trying to use the hot water. 160*+ can burn viciously.

thanks for the info but i am concerned with the connection to the boiler lines, i have open connections [hydrovalves] on the boiler lines after they hook into my zones which would be easy way for me to connect to the sidearm.i could connect to the hydrovales and then open them i am not sure if that would work hooked ip like that though ,i already have the hot water connections resolved thanks for any help

Without knowing more about the rest of your system, I would say that just connecting to the hydrovalves is not going to give you the performance you need. You will get some thermosiphon, but I dont think you will get what you want for heating.

You should look into some controls and a circ to help you move the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.