sidearm or brazed plate HX?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone, I have a new 6048 CB on the
way, installing a new water heater also, prolly an 80 gallon or so. I
am trying to decide whether to go with a sidearm or brazed plate HX for
DHW. Any input anyone?

Either one will work you won't need a very big hx no more than a 30 plate unless you getting a 100gal WH. Another ? do plan on putting a circ on both sides? or just having the water flow through the side arm or hx as you use the DHW. If you don't ever want the WH to turn on you should really put circs on both sides and maybe control them with aquastats. Hint side arm might not be so sensitive to PH of Domestic water.

Or consider an indirect tank , possibly one with an electric element for back up. Using an indirect tank with a coil inside or the tank in tank style will be better than adding and external "tube" It will be simpler than a tank with an external plate HX as they require two circs.

Generally indirect tanks are better insulated and have less standby loss, especially compared to a gas fired WH. Warranty is typically better on indirect tanks also.

If you chose the external tube be sure to add a listed mixing valve, as they can run the tanks up to, or near boiler temperature, in some cases.

hr

My home is all electric, so I will be installing an electric WH. I thought that since I don't really plan on using the OWB to heat water in the summer, a conventional WH would be the best choice. Am I all wet in my thinking?

WOW! I thought I'd get more input than this. Oh well, I appreciate those who responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.