Sides cooler on stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
So maybe it is just me but with an epa stove is it very noticeable that the sides of the stove stay way cooler then the top where the burn tubes are?

Is there a significant temperature difference and it seems to me the temp difference is only when the tubes are going cause on start up the whole thing is hot?

Heat rises. The baffle system in the top helps to hold heat in the stove, but it will always hold the most near the top.. At this moment, my IR therm says the top center stone (which is the "official" stove temp of a Hearthstone) is 455F, the corner top stones avg about 325F, the top-center side stones are averaging about 500F, and the bottom-center side stones about 245F..

That and many epa stoves are shielded on the sides

Exactly. And it will most likely have a firebrick interior. What stove? Many new steel stoves have jackets reducing rear and side radiation and reducing clearances. An unshielded EPA stove is going to have very hot sides and large clearance requirements because of the lack of shielding.

That and many epa stoves are shielded on the sides

Yeah, and there is that too.. LOL.. I didn't think of that because well.. my stove is the same thickness everywhere..

Status
Not open for further replies.