Sierra 4700 TEC Warped Cat Combuster Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOOC1

Jan 7, 2008
MA-VT-RI
Hi,

I have a Sierra 4700 TEC insert that has been in my family for many years. The combustor box is badly damaged warped. When we bought the stove years ago the box had a small sag in it from overheating. Every year it has progressively gotten worse. The stove still works great & heats very well. I just know that the warped combustor box is not a good thing & needs complete replacement or if not I need a new stove. I love the stove...it has heated our house very well. My question is: I'm wondering if I can order a new combustor box from Sierra...have a fabricator/welder cut the old one out & weld the new one in place? Or is the entire stove toast?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Attachments

• IMG_20130915_175509_347.jpg
    IMG_20130915_175509_347.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20130918_184054_304.jpg
    IMG_20130918_184054_304.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 298
Sierra has changed hands at least twice since the stove was made but new ones are pretty much exactly the same as yours. Problem is that they don't show the box as a replacement part so yeah you would be faced with having one fabricated and welded in locally.

That and the price of new cats is money that would go a long way toward a new stove. A shame. That 4700 is a good looking heating beast.

BrotherBart thank you for the feedback...you have been a lot of help over the years! Would you happen to have any recommendations on other large wood burning inserts to replace this stove? I have yet to find anything that compares to this beast. I have seen that the same stove can be ordered but they want about $3,000 for a new one.

Mellow...thanks for the advice. I called Matt....he was very helpful. Unfortunately no luck finding a complete combustor box for the stove. It does look like the bay 52 combustor box is very similar to the one in my Sierra 4700 TEC. Mine is welding in place.....looks like yours is a bolt up.

Would it be possible to cut or grind out the warped section and bolt or weld in a thick plate to fit?

Ahh, didn't know it was welded, that was a bad decision on Sierra's part to weld that instead of doing what Appalachian does and bolt it. I would get the measurements from yours and see if you couldn't just drill and tap some holes on top and use the Appalachian damper box after ripping out the old one.

Ayup...poor decision on Sierra's part. That thing is welded in solid.....it will be a pain to cut it out. I'm contemplating cutting it out & putting an Appalachian combustor box in.

I would take the stove out and do it outside or somewhere else where dust wont be an issue. I would cut it out as close as you can then if you have to grind it down. Post some more pictures of how yours is put in and measurements and we can compare to see if the bay 52 damper will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.