*sigh* cracked welds in my Pacific Engery Vista repair or replace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamel

Feb 3, 2013
MA
I adore my little wood stove! I'll never go back to regular heat! I just got done cleaning out my wood stove for the season and was inspecting the welds and to my extreme disappointment I found three welds that are cracked. I've only used this stove for two seasons! I would expect this from some cheap stove found at a big box store. I wanted something of quality. It's the reason I purchased this, to avoid these problems. Anyway, I read several threads on this forum with others facing similar situations with their PE stoves. So I was wondering if you guys can offer some opinions on how bad the cracks are and whether the stove should be repaired, replaced, let it be? I don't like the fact that there's cracks in a box that holds fire in my home. I've been nothing but obsessive about the temps. I use a stove top thermometer and an ir gun to double check temps. What did I do wrong?! The cracks occur on the top inside of the door on both sides. Then they continue around the corner to side wall of the stove where the rail extensions are. The last one is if you look up the the right side exterior heat shield. There are a top and bottom screw towards the back corner of the stove and each has a blob of welding by it. The top weld broke. I bought the stove in 2012 so the five year warranty should still be good. Opinions ? Who should I contact? Both the dealer and PE? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Here's some pics.

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png

If it were me, I'd notify the dealer immediately and request a NEW stove. I'm no welder, but I would not be comfortable having that many cracked welds repaired. If the dealer does not get an action plan in place to resolve this (with a set time limit) I would contact PE directly. I'd be on the phone with PE pretty fast if the dealer even blinks.

Last edited:
I would expect this from some cheap stove found at a big box store. I wanted something of quality. It's the reason I purchased this, to avoid these problems.

My cheap box store stove has also been run hard for two seasons and has NO cracks. Seems that we have a history of cracks in he PE line? Those blobs of bird poo weld. That box is cracked up and to reweld the whole thing might work if you like a Frankenstein stove. It doesn't look overfired but be ready for them to accuse you of that.

Contact the dealer and PE. This is covered under the warranty.

First of all to the OP I hope you can get this serious issue resolved. But also thank you for the reminder to do a really thorough inspection of my stove as well.

Hopefully you will be able to keep us abreast of what takes place with warranty. I would be very disappointed if PE did not step up to the plate with this.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for all your support and suggestions. Love this forum! :) I really don't think I over fired this stove. I was always there to check the temps. I never left the house unless it was at the coaling stage. I wish the manual gave a suggestion of what temps it should be run at. Baffle still looks great no warping or anything either. I guess I'll start by contacting the dealer. I'll keep everyone posted. And yes please do a thorough inspection of your stoves. Cracks can be difficult to see without closer inspection. What I saw as a small crack was a lot larger than I thought. Make sure you use a strong light and move the light around. Sometimes an invisible crack can become apparent by the way the light/shadows hits it. Thanks again everyone! I'll keep you all posted.

Ok, I've contacted my dealer over two weeks ago. Finally got a response. They said that they are sending a warranty claim to the supplier and will keep me informed on the outcome. Should I also contact Pacific Energy myself? Or see what happens? I'm glad the the dealer got back to me. I was beginning to lose hope.

Last edited:
Ok, I've contacted my dealer over two weeks ago. Finally got a response. They said that they are sending a warranty claim to the supplier and will keep me informed on the outcome. Should I also contact Pacific Energy myself? Or see what happens? I'm glad the the dealer got back to me. I was beginning to lose hope.
Sounds like the dealer might be able to get some action; I would wait to see, before going to PE directly.

Yeah, give the dealer his shot at making it right. I would request a replacement stove. That is a bunch of cracks to be fixing on such a new stove that has been properly operated.

Thanks for the opinions. I did request a replacement stove. I'll wait and see if the dealer can make this right. I'll keep everyone updated.

Reactions: Seanm
Lifetime warranty on a PE Super 27? Transferable?

What would make you think the welder was any better in all the other areas as far as even considering a repair. Silly question does the replacement have a full 5 year warrantee or just the remainder of the original? Who removes and replaces the stove? If the dealer has one in stock on the floor go look at it with a good light and a mirror if the quality of the welds look the same I would seriously question the stove company in general. It actually costs less to do a quality weld than that mess. I am guessing they welded the top on last and should have been where they started and finished with the bottom that is protected with fire brick. The order it is assembled is a big deal as every new piece added makes it harder to get to the weld.

robotic welding and no post annealing of weldment will do that every time.

Another vote to inspect your stove carefully before every heating season...Decided to clean the stove and install new firebricks for the upcoming heating season and was shocked at what I found inside. The upper air box that directs fresh air down the front glass is totally cracked on both ends and into the firebox plating. I just emailed the dealer and hope I get a response soon. Stove was bought new 8/21/09 an has a lifetime warranty on the firebox. I think this applies...20150727_211146.jpg 20150727_211055.jpg

**Update** Dealer responded today and informed me Pacific Energy is in a shutdown this week, but he sent them the pics and will get back to me next week...

Another vote to inspect your stove carefully before every heating season...Decided to clean the stove and install new firebricks for the upcoming heating season and was shocked at what I found inside. The upper air box that directs fresh air down the front glass is totally cracked on both ends and into the firebox plating. I just emailed the dealer and hope I get a response soon. Stove was bought new 8/21/09 an has a lifetime warranty on the firebox. I think this applies...View attachment 159960 View attachment 159962

Ouch! Seems like the cracks are in the same areas as mine and some other people's PE stoves as well. Maybe a design flaw at this point?

I would like to happily report that PE does honor their warranty! I was approved for a new firebox. It was sent to my dealer and they installed it today! It even came with the firebricks and baffle which I didn't think that was a part of the firebox. Thank you so much Pacific Energy for honoring your warranty! :) On the other hand I still have some concerns about this new stove. In the same area (upper inside corner of the loading door) there is a blob of weld that looks cracked. How can that be? It hasn't been fired yet! Please tell me it's just a extra blob of weld that didn't stick well. Should I fill it with furnace cement? I'm so paranoid about this happening again. Also the inside walls have a scratchy appearance that my previous stove didn't have. I can feel the scratches. This won't compromise it's structural integrity will it? I'm not trying to bash PE either. I love how clean this stove runs and the heat it puts out. I just hoping that I won't be back to another stove with cracked welds. If it does it looks like I will have to find a different stove. I don't think PE will keep replacing a stove every two years. I'm going to try keeping this stove at a lower temp to see it that will preserve the welds. Thanks again Pacific Energy for honoring your warranty!

Attachments

• newstovebeforefire.png
    newstovebeforefire.png
    252.9 KB · Views: 447
  • newstovebeforefire2.png
    newstovebeforefire2.png
    199.1 KB · Views: 428
  • newstovebeforefire1.png
    newstovebeforefire1.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Ouch! Seems like the cracks are in the same areas as mine and a lot of other people's PE stoves as well. Maybe a design flaw at this point?

"Some" other people's PE stoves. Folks come here because they have a problem. What we don't hear about are the masses that own stoves but don't go online to talk about them. There are many thousands of stoves of every brand that have no issues, PE included.

I am so pleased for you that PE stepped up and replaced the unit for you. They are indeed unusual marks inside, it almost looks like someone was laying out something else with the scribe marks.

If you are concerned send the photos to PE and ask for their opinion. My experience with my stove has been pretty good. So the question always asked is "would you buy another one". The answer to that is yes I would.

Best of luck, hope that is the end of your problems. You have handled this very well.

Last edited:
The scratches look like a combination of Handling & someone Laying out/Checking/Scribing some project.. None of which will affect the integrity of the steel. The one small Blob of weld "Looks" like it may not be bonded well but looks can be deceiving, you'd have to take a knife tip or something to confirm theres a tiny opening. I'm so glad they stepped up and took care of you. I also don't feel you need to alter the way you burn, you shouldn't have to be scared on a cold night that you cant get more heat because the stove may crack. It was probably a rare accordance, As BG said, you rarely hear of the thousands of success stories where the stove has been 25+yrs without a hiccup.. ( I hope yours is one :) ) it'll all work out... Cudo's to them.... :)

Could that "blob" be slag that didn't get chipped off? Tap on it a few times with a hammer to see if it shatters and falls off.

Could that "blob" be slag that didn't get chipped off? Tap on it a few times with a hammer to see if it shatters and falls off.

As an old arc welder, I too think it looks like slag. Odd since most robotic welding is done with gas and no flux. First thing I would do is wack it with a chipping hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.