sigh, St. Croix stoped fireing again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magsf11

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2009
buffalo ny
just cleaned her now it wont refire. sameproblem as last week. showing I have a vacume leak. I have replaced the door gasket( at the seams the glue came out and a good 2" is really hard), took both motors apart and cleaned. this was all done on tuesday. did my reagular claning and now on fire thats when i noticed the door gasket seam beeing hard. thinking that or my ash pan door. with all of the post on St. Croix sofar this heating season , starting to wonder if this it the year of problems. any help please befor I call someone. thanks guy/gals/ happy heating. Jim

I was having trouble with my vacuum switch a couple of years ago, mostly because of the poor quality of the pellets I was using. Basically what was happening is some ash or soot would block the end of the tube or whatever is in the firebox that goes out through the side of the box and has the plastic tubing on it that goes to the vacuum switch.
Anyway, what I would have to do is take the cast iron side panel off; carefully remove the plastic tubing from the vacuum switch; and blow in tubing real hard so as to clear the blockage. Then I'd put the tubing back on, using a tie-wrap to secure it, and put the side back on. After that it would light without any problem.
I guess what I'm saying here is make sure the tubing isn't blocked before you go replacing a whole bunch of stuff.
Good Luck!

I'm not familiar with the stove and the error codes, but I would suggest going back through the stove and readjusting and tightening all doorways and passages down, My little stove will show an air leak when one of the baffle panels is not set right, and the large one has a tempermental ash door. Useless except to clean, but it had to be very tight for the stove to run properly. A simple misplaced screw may cause the problem. While you are noodling around, check the switch and make sure it doesn't need resetting and there are no obstructions. You may have a piece of gritty ash stuck in the wrong spot not letting the switch move properly, and last, check your pellet hopper seal. I worked on a stove for a friend for three hours trying to find the problem, only to find his teenage daughter had lost a hair clip and bridged the seal and it flat would not seat. A finger flick and a rub down of the gasket and he was in business with the worlds cleanest stove after 14 years of use.

As littlesmokey says it doesn't take much to cause a vacuum trip.

Loose seals, bit of dust/ash in the wrong spot.

You might have chipped some RTV while cleaning to the point that it now leaks.

Maybe the ash pan door isn't fully latched or the latch got bent while removing or reinstalling the ash pan.

Cleaning the fire pot receiver might have loosened up the the seal where the air enters the stove leading to a bypass of the fire pot and an air leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.