signs of spring!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
Today the red-bellied woodpecker returned to my roof for another season of using my metal chimney cap to magnify his message.

Wood thrush in the yard investigating insects.

One of my old students showed up in my room with an incubator and 2 dozen eggs. Not for omelettes.

Tractor supply has chicks.

Feels like spring here at 52 degrees....well, that is you try to walk in the backyard with 2 feet of snow on the ground.
Going to have some serious puddles in the yard shortly :)

100% overcast, sixty degrees and a wall of rain on the way for around 18 hours. Yep. Pretty much what Spring is like.

Take your half empty glass to another table please.

I think I saw a loon in the lake inlet. Small, maybe a duck but he/she sure looked like a loon. I have, however, already seen about 5 bald eagles this year. And a weasel.

btuser said:
I think I saw a loon in the lake inlet. Small, maybe a duck but he/she sure looked like a loon. I have, however, already seen about 5 bald eagles this year. And a weasel.

Nice!!

Loons have a drab winter plumage, so that might have thrown you.

Hit 50 today which is slightly below normal. Still, we were out uncovering the strawberries and getting beds ready for planting. Tomoorow I'll be dormant spraying and mowing the grass. Camelias, early rhodies, daffodils and crocuses are in bloom. I am ready for spring!

I saw my first robin wednesday. Felt bad for the guy as it was 3 degrees outside. :lol: Thursday was -3. Some had seen robins a couple weeks ago, but they are one of those things where it's nice to see them for yourself.

I've heard of 2 turkey vulture sightings.

I spent Friday out on a pond checking to see if there was winterkill. There was... Ponds had it tough this year.

Matt

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
btuser said:

Nice!!

Loons have a drab winter plumage, so that might have thrown you.

Actually, that makes sense because it was a "loon" and something that looked like a brown duck but had a really loony head. I'm guessing two newlyweds just out of the nest and looking to set up shop.

I'm going to have to wait for about 3' of snow melt before I get to do my dormant spraying. I can barely see the branches on my new apple trees.

What is this "spring season" that you speak of? We recieved about 4" of fresh snow today with another 8" on the way tomorrow... snowpack depth is about 100" now. In Montana we only have 2 seasons: Winter & Road Construction, & even they overlap sometimes! ;-)

EDIT: word has it that the Grizzlies are starting to emerge from their winter dens...

Sign of spring today.
Over 60 Dog mushers & teams drove by in trucks headed for Willow.
Iditarod race started today, Spring in 6 - 7 weeks,
finally light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Ah! the signs of spring - snow today and tonight, high of 23 today, low of 7 tonight and low of 2 tomorrow night. Just can't wait to chop through 3 feet of ice on the lake and take a refreshing spring swim. Life is good.

Saw the geese flyin over yesterday in pa. I also see some of my daffodils peeking out of the dirt. The birds are starting to sing in the early morning now......But, flood warning today, (I am not affected though, live on a big mountain), heavy rains, 4 inches of snow tonite! Well its tryin here and something to look forward to....changing the clocks ahead here 1 hour next week, more daylight is kinda nice........ :) I tend to like the glass half full...(with dogfish head beer of course) :lol:

Geological survey released yesterday shows 3 feet of snow on the ground at my house and they aren't lying. It was -4 a couple of days ago, whats spring? While here on the coast we're supposed to get rain, Northern and Western Maine might get 2 feet of snow later today and tomorrow. The winter that never ends. We were 15% ahead on degree days, by ahead I mean warmer but we have to be behind now.

I'll be away from the homestead for 2 weeks in april which is really cramping my usual spring plans-bees, chicks, starts. I'm not sure what I'll do with that incubator full.

Big wind and rain today! A limb fell on the wires and a neighbors roof so we lost power for most of the day. No I didn't score the wood :lol:

Everything is ready to bloom. Got out and did a mega dormant spray today on some very plump buds. Sun felt warm, spring is here.

Attachments

• IMG_0596web.jpg
    IMG_0596web.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 266
Very nice.
Gives me something to look forward to. :)

The signs are showing up around here too. Weather has been flipping between April & February every few days. Signs of spring:
A couple Robins have been around since last week. I haven't heard any yet, but the wife heard/saw Sandhill cranes flying high overhead while on a hike last weekend.
I noticed the tippy-tops of daffolids poking-up last Tues morning as I had my coffee. That garden faces south and the soil warms up early there.
The grass was starting to green before being covered in snow again Saturday.
I'm feeling less miserable.

Yep - according to Lowes and Walmart all the signs of spring are here. Easter candy in the aisles, snowblowers on clearance, and BBQ grills as far as the eye can see. Better get buildin' that patio before summer's gone... I get the idea of enticing buyers early, but when you have to walk past two dozen lawn mowers to get the ice-melt and a new pair of gloves to dig out your car ya gotta wonder about that corporate scheduling...

Hope springs eternal.

What is dormant spraying?

My friend in the NE Kingdom of VT got a big storm. I wonder how many of you got some of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.