signs of spring!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Northern Maine got whacked, 20 inches or so, Central maine got snow, ice and rain, here on the coast we got 2.5 inches of rain. Roads flooded as everything is covered with feet of snow. It went from in the 40s to 10 last night, driving was great. I still can see no lawn after that much rain

Working on three weeks of spring down here though I did build a fire last night (1st in 2 weeks) to take the chi out of the house after a cloudy day. Nearly everything is blooming but still waiting on the Pecan trees to bust out to verify the end of winter.

I can't wait for my daffodils and tulips to come up.

I gotta get my seeds started!

Some it'll be wood choppin' time again.

Just piled up piles of snow left here.
Crocuses are blooming, daffodils are up about an inch or so and saw a threesome of ducks flying overhead Sunday.
Was also able to pull some carrots out of the garden. In pretty good shape - all the snow must have helped keep them from freezing. I never got mulch on them last Fall. It snowed too soon.
Got all the fruit trees pruned last weekend, too. A little chilly, but got them all done.

Geese have been flying north for several days here...daffys are poking through and the yard has more than the usual number of robins where there isn't any snow, but tonight we get a "wintry mix"....I'm starting to really hate that term!

billb3 said:
Crocuses are blooming, daffodils are up about an inch or so and saw a threesome of ducks flying overhead Sunday.
Was also able to pull some carrots out of the garden. In pretty good shape - all the snow must have helped keep them from freezing. I never got mulch on them last Fall. It snowed too soon.
Got all the fruit trees pruned last weekend, too. A little chilly, but got them all done.

The deer have taken care of the apple tree pruning for me. They aren't quite done though, as there are still some branches that remain.

PapaDave said:
billb3 said:

The deer have taken care of the apple tree pruning for me. They aren't quite done though, as there are still some branches that remain.
The deer here walk right past the fruit trees and attack the arborvitae and yews around the house.
No accounting for taste, I guess.

Our apple trees that were out in the unprotected field look like lollipop trees. The deer stripped anything below 4 ft. clean off the trees.

PS: Driving around I saw that the flowering plums and cherries are starting to bloom. Kath have the laurels covering Roan Mountain started blooming yet or is that later in spring?

definitely a sign of spring on this web site. spending less time logged in. less logged in users. topics are less wood and wood stove oriented.
heck, might as well cancel internet for the summer months!

but the weather around here still is winter. no robins, ducks, geese, loons, etc.
no daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, crocuses, etc.

but the highways are all bare!!!!!

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
robins are yoopers too.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/turd_migr_AllAm_map.gif

You have robins year round. They just spend winter in the forest eating berries.

well, mark this down as a first K! i disagree with your post. i think when you referenced the map, you may have been refering to the northern part of lower peninsula. the upper peninsula is in fact located on top of wisconsin. those red-breasted beauties only use our area for breeding!!!

Lots of Robins here. Even when it was cold they were all over the place this year. Hadn't seen that in years past. The last couple of days they are doing a red-breaststroke with the downpours we have been getting. I prefer cold and dry over 50 and soggy anytime.

heard the canada geese this a.m. , spring is on the way. saw a cardinal about an hour ago, and we have all these black birds around that make this awful screeching/crowing sounding.
<shakes fist in the air> "quiet please!".

Heard & saw the first of the Canada Geese this AM, eh.
Nice that Spring is coming. This Winter has been way WAY too long...

yooperdave said:
i think when you referenced the map, you may have been refering to the northern part of lower peninsula. the upper peninsula is in fact located on top of wisconsin. those red-breasted beauties only use our area for breeding!!!

oh, you betcha... you are one of the few spots in the continental US without winter robins.

BG laurels are not blooming yet. What would you spray on a peach tree?

Copper spray before blooming. Then after the blooming is over, sulphur spray to stop peach leaf curl.

Hammock is up on the front porch!!
Nothing better.
Of course by the time I repaired all the mouse bizness :mad: the boy hopped on, so I haven't as yet enjoyed the hammock.

It's warm enough (78!!) I'm going to put him to bed early and take over. :)

Sounds like you just pole vaulted past spring and into summer. We won't likely see 78 for another 3 months.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Hammock is up on the front porch!!
Nothing better.
Of course by the time I repaired all the mouse bizness :mad: the boy hopped on, so I haven't as yet enjoyed the hammock.

It's warm enough (78!!) I'm going to put him to bed early and take over. :)

you are mean!! i've been moving my hammock from room to room while i re-model the cottage this past two months. then you come on and tell everyone that you have 78f and the hammock is out!!! mine will probably not be up until june! still have 22" of ice on the lake.

BUT-good news! i saw some robins today!! hoo-ray! only thing is, we're supposed to get 16
' of snow and below zero wind chills tonight and tomorrow. feel sorry for them...happens every year, though. they just have to go without for a few days.

good for you and your nice weather. your summers musts be real long! do you get mosquitos? next to the robin, they are our state bird!!!

Yes mosquitos. Not too bad though. They don't bug me much. This is very warm, very early. We don't usually hit this until late may/early june. Enjoy your robins. Hope you both brave the storm.

Yeah we have had a few warm days. With the thunderstorms to go with'em. It will slide back down this weekend to forties day and twenties or low thirties night for a while. Thursday is supposed to have snow showers but nothing serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.