Signs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dorkweed

What are the tell-tale signs of a saw needing an "over-haul"??? My McCullock ProMac610 w/28" bar is a monster................but it's gotta be almost 35 years old. Dad bought that bad boy back in the early late '70's-early '80's!!!!!!!

I've used it almost exclusively for 20 years now, and she's never been down..........or over-hauled..........or rebuilt. She just keeps running...............and with a sharp chain, people stand back and watch it bury me in shavings!!!!!!:cool:

Not bragging, just saying. How do you know when???!!! I need to know!! Starts on the 4-5th pull when cold everytime. When topping off the fuel and bar oil.........usually 1-2 pulls restarts............ I'm blessed with this saw............it's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe ease up on those !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (exclamation points!).... :confused:

Saw needs an overhaul when you notice it no longer performs they way it used to. If it starts, runs, and cuts well, I'd leave it be.

What are the tell-tale signs of a saw needing an "over-haul"??? My McCullock ProMac610 w/28" bar is a monster................but it's gotta be almost 35 years old. Dad bought that bad boy back in the early late '70's-early '80's!!!!!!!

I've used it almost exclusively for 20 years now, and she's never been down..........or over-hauled..........or rebuilt. She just keeps running...............and with a sharp chain, people stand back and watch it bury me in shavings!!!!!!:cool:

Not bragging, just saying. How do you know when???!!! I need to know!! Starts on the 4-5th pull when cold everytime. When topping off the fuel and bar oil.........usually 1-2 pulls restarts............ I'm blessed with this saw............it's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From your gushing review, I'd say it's just fine.

Reactions: smokinj
It needs a rebuild when it won't start, has no power, runs like crap, throws parts, etc. None of which sounds like your saw.

RUN WHAT YA BRUNG.

Reactions: ScotO
McCullochs are junk. Especially the ProMac 610. I'll give you 100 bucks for it. Then you can go buy a real saw. PS, don't look at my signature.

Reactions: Thistle
Thanks y'all.............twas just axing!!! I'll keep riding her as long as she's willing!!

Didn't realize the emoticon thing was so sensitive on my 'puter. Sorry.

Those older Pro Macs and Timber Bears were really good firewood saws. I have 5 of them. None in my sig, because I don't even run them anymore. I did just sell one the other day, and still have four more to sell. The one is like BRAND SPANKING NEW. Gonna sell that one soon, put that money towards my Stihl 075AV port/overhaul job. I have to start thinning out my collection. Anyway, back to your original post, if the thing is running as good as you say it is, let it be. You'll know when it needs work, trust me.......

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If it ain't broke, fixit 'till it is. >> Hot Rodders Creed

I thought it was, "if you have enough vacuum left to operate your brakes, or don't have to keep feathering the throttle at the stop light to keep from stalling, your cam is too mild." That's how I lived it, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.