Silent Flame Retrofit - Secondary Air, Firebrick, etc..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago, I did a time lapse video of the nightly load. Looks like it topped out at about 880ºF that night. This was a bit before I had the full secondary air mod and worked to tighten up the stove a bit. Now I trade a bit cooler temps for a bit longer burn time - unless I'm running full bore to heat up the house.

But, ya, the old iron is probably pretty well seasoned and won't melt until north of 2700ºF, so anything below glowing should be fine. Heck, even glowing isn't terribly an issue, though does exponentially speed up the oxidation of the steel and lead to eventual 'burn-out'.

Reactions: Mr4btTahoe
Reactions: Mr4btTahoe
That's good info to have.

It was popping and pinging at those temps but I think it was mostly coming from the thin steel baffle plate.

Anyways... I reloaded this morning at 8am with a hot coal bed and the intention of letting it burn out by noon... It's now 6:15 and the stove is still hot... Automatic blower still running.. House is still 78.

The load this morning was 4 med. splits.

Very happy with the outcome so far.

Just a little update...

Stove and mods have been doing great. I took some pics this morning to show the outcome...

Primary air closed... secondaries rolling
IMG_20151121_124256335_zpsk9i0hprc.jpg

Stack output... 0 smoke/haze.
IMG_20151121_124211099_zpseaqhwuk2.jpg

The only negative I can say thus far is that I've managed to warp the outer stove top. I noticed this the other night when I was loading the stove and noticed a slight gap between the flue and the stove top. I took a few steps back and sure enough, the top of the stove has warped. I went on and lit a small fire to check for leaks at the flue mating surface and there doesnt seem to be. As the stove warmed up, the gap between the stack and stovetop closed. I dont believe its going to cause any problems but its odd that it happened.

I typically keep a pot of water on the stove top to put moisture into the air... the pot is pretty large.. could that have caused it?

Anyways... so far we are staying warm. Temps are dropping quickly here.. will be in the low 20s tonight.. House is a comfortable 74.
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.