silicone in the wrong places?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stentor said:
Here's an update. I spoke with the dealer's technician today before the end of season cleaning and went over some of the ideas you folks have posted above:

1. foil tape
2. shop vac and suck out from bottom of tee during cleaning
3. shop vac through firebox
4. strap type oil filter wrench
5. butane torch

IMO, silicone everything BUT the T-Cap, and just wrap that with the foil furnace tape. When it's time to clean, unpeel the tape, clean, and re-tape. That seems the best and easiest way to go.

peirhead said:
My Tee is outside...I initially thought it was siliconed on as well. but after asking the dealer about it you simply remove 2 screws and pull out the bottom cap..(see pic) not sure what brand of pipe it is though!

peirhead,

Bingo -- you got lucky! That's ICC rather than that Simpson crap.

--Alan

Yes. The newer version of Duravent pellet vent (called Pelletvent PRO) is much different than the old version.

Old version used rope gaskets. New version uses encapsulated silicone gaksets that sandwiches between pipe lengths to provide a nice, tight seal.
This has been on the market now for two-or-three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.