Silicone sealant for pipe seams....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJPellet

Minister of Fire
Sep 6, 2011
Western NY
Hello,
I bought some silicone to seal the pipe seams on the inside of my house. It says 500* on the tube but upon closer examination it says 450* continuous in the small print. Will this be safe for my pellet stove pipe? I bought it from a hearth dealer online as I couldn't find any near me.
The insides of the pipe were sealed when the installation was done. I just want to put some on the outside of the seams to make sure everything is completely sealed. Probably overkill but that's me. :) Thanks. This forum has been great!

Yep.. That vent wont hit 200* (External temp) Your good.

I'm a newbie here..just bought my Duravent PelletVent pipes...not the pro type..wondering where do you put the silicone on the pipes joints..I've seen some pipes with it on the seams...any info would be great...I did buy the clear Rutland type..

Putting it on the outside seam will look worse. But when you go to take apart the venting system. You can cut and clean it off much easier, than if you put it inside the "channel" that it slides and turns in. I have not done my Pellet Vent Pro system. But my standard Simpson in the shop is on the outside seams and I painted the pipe black to hide it.

I have the black venting pipes and I bought the black silicone...I was not sure where to put it...my friend has it on the outside..and it does looks awful...

bigruckus said:
I have the black venting pipes and I bought the black silicone...I was not sure where to put it...my friend has it on the outside..and it does looks awful...

This is the document for Pelletvent Pro but look at page eight. It shows how to apply the sealant. Works the same way for yours.

http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L550_Apr2011.pdf

Use a thin layer and smear it with your finger. Seal the small gap really good and wipe away excess with a rag. Mine looks almost seamless. No leaks. But I also painted over it. I painted the stove the same day. So overspray was not an issue, as it would be with you.

DexterDay said:
Use a thin layer and smear it with your finger. Seal the small gap really good and wipe away excess with a rag. Mine looks almost seamless. No leaks. But I also painted over it. I painted the stove the same day. So overspray was not an issue, as it would be with you.

So you putting this on the outside...right...???

I did. The manual states to do it on the section (male) that goes inside the female connection. I have seen how hard it is to get just my stove adapter off the back (1st section of pipe/starter piece in system) of the stove. And this piece does not twist on. It rather just slides on. Very hard to remove.

I also saw somewhere that you can put tape on each side of the outer seam and then apply the silicone...then pull the tape off..this will give you a nice looking sealed joint!!....Today will tell!!

Status
Not open for further replies.