silicone spray

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
Has anyone ever used silicone spray inside the FIREBOX to keep flyash from sticking?
I have a harmen accentra insert and the ash accumulates on the iron compass back plate.
The Manuel says I can use it on the combustion fan blades.

I am sure you can spray it on there but the heat will most likely burn it off fairly quick. Maybe look for some high temp paint and give them a coat after the burning season. I know my quad book says the burn pot can reach temps off over 1900 F. So the fire box probably gets good and hot.

Interesting timing. I just started using spray graphite on the inside of the stove. Not only do I have less hard deposits on the burn (wear) plate, but less ash sticking inside the burning area. It also looks better (if that matters). It seems easier to clean the inside of the stove. Does that mean more ash in the venting? Hard to tell. If you're cleaning the venting anyway, does it matter?

Agree with Panhandler, if you're gonna use a non-stick lube inside your firebox, spray graphite would be much more effective. Silicone would burn off rather rapidly, and may produce some additional sticky residue in your vent when it does burn (though I'm not 100% certain of what happens to silicone when it burns).

Is there a special silicone spray to use? The Harman cleaning guide says to use silicone spray on the combustion fan blades during the cleaning, but doesn't mention a special kind. Also do you have a brand of Graphite spray? I couldn't find it at Lowes

I noticed that the max temp for that is 850F. Would that be a little low for the heat Baffles, and or combustion fan blades?

forya said:
I noticed that the max temp for that is 850F. Would that be a little low for the heat Baffles, and or combustion fan blades?

For imacman's use on the combustion blades it is fine (the combustion blower thermals off at 475 degrees and your vent silicone sealant is gone over 600 degrees). I'd use it outside of the firebox if I wanted it too act as a lubricant. It is carbon (http://www.galleries.com/minerals/elements/graphite/graphite.htm) and thus it will burn (just like diamonds).

Hello

I use graphite spray I purchased at the auto parts store.

Works great on all the metal parts like exhaust blower and my house and car locks!

See pic below:

Attachments

• GraphiteLockSpraySC.jpg
    GraphiteLockSpraySC.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 277
Status
Not open for further replies.