Silly Question - Are there combination fireplaces...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OhBoyItsFire

Jan 28, 2020
US
Are there prefab fireplaces that let you ad-hoc switch between natural gas and wood. If so, what are some example models?
The goal behind this would be that natural gas could be used for quick day to day usage and then as desired, could get a traditional wood fire going too.
--
If this can't be done with pre-fab, is this something a masonry chimney could handle?
--
I'm assuming in either cases there was be some kind of removal of the gas components to allow for wood burning.

Are there prefab fireplaces that let you ad-hoc switch between natural gas and wood. If so, what are some example models?
The goal behind this would be that natural gas could be used for quick day to day usage and then as desired, could get a traditional wood fire going too.
--
If this can't be done with pre-fab, is this something a masonry chimney could handle?
--
I'm assuming in either cases there was be some kind of removal of the gas components to allow for wood burning.
No not really

To be clear then, the only way this would happen is to work with a chimney professional on something custom?
Or would this not be safe to even do?
To my knowledge there is no safe way to do it. And no chimney professional can make you a custom gas appliance. That would need to be designed and tested

It seems like in the prefab case this would not be hard to-do technically, but I guess nobody wants the liability of somebody having a whoopsie taking a gas component in/out (then not getting it seated correctly again).

It seems like in the prefab case this would not be hard to-do technically, but I guess nobody wants the liability of somebody having a whoopsie taking a gas component in/out (then not getting it seated correctly again).
Well yeah you could have a prefab fire place and install a gas logs set. Then when you wanted to burn wood pull the logs pull the gas line out plug the hole and burn wood. Then when you want gas again clean the firebox and chimney. Then reinstall the gas line and log set. Not exactly easy.

There are some wood fireplaces with gas logs lighters but they are not really gas burners and are not allowed in lots of areas

I'm willing to bet the market for such a product is small -- essentially you. :)

You can have "quick, day to day usage" with wood burning appliance. Once you get proficient at wood burning, lighting a fire takes minutes. Once you get to appreciate wood burning, I don't imagine you'll even want to watch gas burning. I don't, anyway; I'd just as soon go in the basement and watch the LP water heater work for a while.

• Haha
Reactions: ispinwool
....You can have "quick, day to day usage" with wood burning appliance...

I'm not sure I follow. If you're home for lunch during the day and just want it on for 30 mins - I'm not seeing how you'd do that with a wood fire without leaving embers going and the flue/vent open all afternoon.

Ah, well, I was thinking something less quick than 'instant on', I guess. No, I guess a 30 minute fire isn't realistic. I guess one of the things that wood burning encourages is some distance from an 'instant gratification' mindset.

If modern fireplaces are like modern woodstoves (which I think they are, in the relevant respect), leaving a fire burning isn't an issue -- it is 100% safe, and so little air gets wasted up the flue once the fire is cruising that it isn't a concern.

If I want a 30 minute fire I just fill up with twigs and branches less than 1”. The total fuel load is small so I can just leave the air at about 3/4 open no need to adjust and in 30 min it’s mostly coals which I am fine leaving the house with in the stove. Does it get much heat? not really but the stove top will reach 400 F in that time. Pellet stove is the wood equivalent of usage you are wanting.
Evan.

I have a combination oil burner /wood stove called a Longwood. I can burn wood up to 5Ft long pieces of wood in it. Has a Stainless steel tube inside over 5 ft long. I never use the oil function but its there. Its a hot air wood furnace but has no after burn function. Does burn fairly clean as somtimes the SS tube will glow near the exit end. An interesting piece of equipment. 899655.jpg

Last edited: