Silver Birch.....Stringy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Along with some sugar maple and ash, I got some silver birch over the last few days. Been splitting it by hand and I noticed it was kind of stringy. Since this is my first experience with birch, is this normal or just really wet? Did about a 1/2 face cord of it and it was all the same. Should I double or even triple split all of it? Also will be getting roughly 4-6 face cords of some cherry in about 3 weeks....What should I expect when splitting that? Thanks guys..

I started getting loads of rounds delivered this past Feb-March, started with Red Oak and Black Walnut all of which split like a dream with my maul. Then a guy dropped of a large load of Silver Maple with has been a nightmare, 5 times harder to split and for an inferior wood, thinking of hauling whats left to the dump. Past loads of Silver Maple were fine but this one is awful.

Hmmm not so sure my current Silver Maple problem is that it is stringy, my problem is that it has a serious twist to it, like a 4-5 inch twist.

OK too much beer and bbq and not enough sleep over the weekend, I now see you are referring to Birch, soo never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.