Silver Birch!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchip

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
Broadstone England
I spotted this silver birch down in the woods behind our house this morning, it took about an hour to get the smaller stuff from the top back, sadly the main truck had some rot (which is why it fell down) so it was left for the creepy crawlies. I reckon it will give us a few free fires next autumn, it burns quite hot but quite a bit faster than oak or ash.

IMG_3459.jpg

And this wood went on the fire this evening. It's birch which had fallen in the stream in the woods a year ago. It had started rotting and lost the bark, it has an interesting two colours.
Dried down to 15% it has burned really hot this evening, typing here in a lounge at 82f.

IMG_3460.jpg

Nice ,

how's the weather in England? 82 F is cooking!

It's much milder here now than December, our coldest December since the 1600's.....

It was 52f outside today, I actually got too warm sawing and chopping wood :)

I see green leaves and no snow - must be far from here. Your birch looks a lot like our White Birch/Paper Birch.

Those green leaves are ivy.
It is growing so thickly up some of the trees that I have cut through it before, dried it, and burned it. 3 inch thick bits 6 inches long make quite good NS fillers in the stove :)

Status
Not open for further replies.