Silver Creosote Flakes....HUH?? (picture)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
Weird one here. I just finished cleaning out my chimney using the soot eater. Saw something new today.

I have an Englander 30 and 23ft of double wall Selkirk pipe (17ft of stainless chimney pipe and 6ft of double wall stovepipe.

Thanks to you guys I know burn only dry wood, well as dry as I can get it anyways. Usually oak and maple in the high teens. I tend to burn on the hotter side to avoid creosote buildup and do my best to make sure there is no visible smoke coming out the chimney.

I go through about 3ish cords of wood a year give or take. I clean my chimney about 2-3 times per year for piece of mind. I usually get about 1-2 cups of soot with each cleaning.

So here we are. I just cleaned the chimney for the first time this year. The last time I cleaned it was January/February earlier this year. I'd say between this shoulder season and the second half of last season I've burnt 2 cords of wood since the last cleaning. I ended up with about 2-2.5 cups of soft dry brown soot.

So I'm done cleaning and examine my pile of soot and something catches my eye.....SHINY FLAKES!!! What the heck! I thought I improved my techniques! It actually looks like metal! Not shiny black flakes....but shiny SILVER FLAKES!!! At first I started freaking out that metal flakes were metal coming off of the inside of my chimney but I don't think that is the case. They are extremely fragile and turn to dust when handled. They are very small. None larger than an 1/8 of an inch or so in diameter.

Any idea??? Just regular creosote that was flaky and had a reflective type of surface? For what its worth....I bought some Rutland "Creosote Kwik-Shots" on clearance and have burned about 8 of them with some hot fires during the shoulder season. I figure it would dry any nasty stuff up if there was anything in there before I scrubbed it. Could this have any effect?

Am I out of my mind?
2iibhfs.jpg

At first I read that it was black shiny flakes that would have been early stage 2 creosote, but not much of it. I don't know what shiny silver flakes would be!

OTOH, maybe it is little flakes of creosote that just look silvery because they're so small.

Last edited:
I'm hoping it was just due to the 8 or so "creosote remover" kwik shots I've burnt this shoulder season. Either way....burnt decent load of pine + oak last night and got about 8 hours out of it. Seems to be burning fine.

I am thinking the kwik shots might have something to do with this.

ETA - are you harvesting your wood from very sandy locations? Could it be silica?

Why are you burning those "kwik shots" anyway? With dry wood and proper burning that seems like a waste of money at a minimum and who knows what you are doing to the air quality... (I do wonder what these things put in the air...).

Why are you burning those "kwik shots" anyway? With dry wood and proper burning that seems like a waste of money at a minimum and who knows what you are doing to the air quality... (I do wonder what these things put in the air...).

I bought them on clearance at the end of year last spring. It was something like $2 for a 3 pack. I consider it peace of mind. If there was some junk somewhere in the chimney...maybe these creosote things would help loosen it up or dry it out before I sweep. Can't hurt.

They do make for a nice green light show though :) Kind of looks like the Northern Lights when the secondaries are rolling :).

Status
Not open for further replies.