Silver Maple for Shoulder Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
Silver Maple, or what folks here in N. KY. call Water Maple; a lot of it around where I live and the price is right, as in free. What do you think of using it for the shouder seasons?? :roll:

Ralph said:
Silver Maple, or what folks here in N. KY. call Water Maple; a lot of it around where I live and the price is right, as in free. What do you think of using it for the shouder seasons?? :roll:
We get alotta red maple up here, which is close to the same. Good shoulder season wood, but our shoulder season is probably akin to mid winter in Kentucky

Great for starting fires and a quick hot fire so use it as it was intended and you will be a happy camper. :) Dries fairly quick also.

Good shoulder wood and it should also dry pretty well over the summer if you can get it split and stacked soon. I like to have some soft Maple on hand, some regular-sized splits and some smaller for kindling.

We use a lot of big leaf maple which is similar to silver. It's fine for shoulder season heating. We've heated with it through whole winters out here. I have about 1.5 cords C/S/S from one we took down last fall that will be burning next season.

Thanks gang for your helpful input. Looks like I need to get ah cuttin' and splittin' that maple! But first, ladies and gentelmen, comes that really big white ash!

Nothing wrong with it. You'll like it. Get it split now and it will probably be ready to burn next fall. Same goes for the ash.

Ralph said:

We burn Cherry straight through the winter here in Northern NY so I'm sure Silver Maple will be just fine for shoulder season wood. We do have Beech & Sugar Maple for colder days.

zap

Good day wood too. I like the stuff, way under rated. I hear all the time, " silver maple? nah you can have it" and I do.

Here in Virginia I have burned silver maple in the middle of winter with great results. And you can't beat the price!

We burn some Silver Maple every year. Like to have it on hand for first fill up in the morning, quick heat. It will season over one summer if split and stacked.

Not a thing wrong with some silver maple. Go for it.

I think silver maple has it's place in any wood stack. It's a great start-up wood, splits easily, dries out quickly, ignites readily and really puts out the heat. However it does not last very long (not an overnight wood) but it will serve you well during days.that you are there to tend the fire. I have lots of it and I love having it for all the reasons above.

Status
Not open for further replies.