silver maple (maximum overload!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

We started a medium sized job tonight, two mid sized silver maples and two spruces, all four trees are around forty foot. We got the silver maples down, didn't get pics of the standing trees (didn't even get started til 5:00 this evening) but I ended up with two loads like you see in the pics. Still have the spruce trees to drop and chop tomorrow morning. Some good shoulder season wood, that silver maple is (not to mention great campfire wood, too!)

2012-04-27_20-18-22_538.jpg 2012-04-27_20-18-39_382.jpg

Don't mind the mule, load the wagon ;)
That's a good load.
Very nice score. Will make the wood pile size grow pretty fast. Looks to be well over a cord & 1/2 in the 2 loads.
Spruce is a pretty good wood also.
All nice solid looking wood, I bet this time of the year it is pretty heavy. Should split good now too.
Good job!

Reactions: ScotO
That truck's barely squatting. Either that's a Spruce load or you've got a beefy suspension...

got the spruce trees dropped and outta there, was a very busy but productive morning. All told we took out around 2 cord of silver maple and a cord and a half of spruce, sold the spruce to a guy up the road for 50 bucks. Was gonna keep it for the SS but he's trying to get a pile started for next season and I have enough for almost 4 years, so I sold it to him. That 50 bucks paid for all our fuel the past two days of cutting and hauling the branches to the compost site..........some more pics later.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Looks like another job well done Scotty. I think I hear your wife commenting on that. I cut a load of sugar maple and a load of ash this morning. Hauled them to a old fellow from church. Finished unloading the last load about 1:30 in the rain. I'd like to get about 3 more loads to him in the next couple weeks. I'm done bring wood home until fall. I think I said that same thing about 6 or 7 loads ago.

Looks like another job well done Scotty. I think I hear your wife commenting on that. I cut a load of sugar maple and a load of ash this morning. Hauled them to a old fellow from church. Finished unloading the last load about 1:30 in the rain. I'd like to get about 3 more loads to him in the next couple weeks. I'm done bring wood home until fall. I think I said that same thing about 6 or 7 loads ago.
LP, sounds like you have a good morning too. And I'm in the same boat with the overrun of wood. I do tree removal as a side job and I am absolutetly BOOKED with work, so the softer stuff I am selling off, or giving it to someone that is needy. I still have lots of honey locust to cut on my buddy's farm, that will stay here at home! :cool: Lots of white oak and pin oak coming up as well as a couple of huge poplars here in a couple weeks too. My overrun that I keep goes up in my FIL's hollow, where we will C/S/S it this winter and it will be used if and when needed, or sold down the road. As for the wife, she's ready to crack me with the rolling pin with all this wood coming in! :eek:

Nice work! I really need to stumble on some silver maple. Not having any in my stacks for this coming winter is rather depressing! :(

Nice job Scotty looks great. Silver maple is a great wood for sure we are burning some now.

Pete

Nice work! I really need to stumble on some silver maple. Not having any in my stacks for this coming winter is rather depressing! :(

Come on over and we'll get some for you. No charge.

That Sierra looks like its doing its job. Nicely done. What year is that baby? Looks like she is in great shape.

Nice job! Nice load! Nice truck! Simply put, nice everything!

That Sierra looks like its doing its job. Nicely done. What year is that baby? Looks like she is in great shape.
It's a 96 K2500, with 153,000 miles and she still runs pretty good. Almost no rust anywhere, either!

I think the see some room for more.>> Thats a nice load for a pickup. Just need a dump bed and you will be set.

Shes looking good Scotty. My 92 has 143K mile and runs great. she smokes a bit at first startup but then runs great. Lots of rust above the wheel well. that NY for you, all the salt eats up if not taken care off.

Come on over and we'll get some for you. No charge.

Heck of an offer Dennis! Once we get settled in and I get caught up around here I may take you up on that! :)

Good job done Scotty. What do you use for a splitter?

It's a 96 K2500, with 153,000 miles and she still runs pretty good. Almost no rust anywhere, either!

Good job, lots of good wood. I have a bit of silver maple in the stacks.
I have a buddy that has almost that same truck. Same truck but in 2 tone.
I believe he has over 200,000 on it. Not as nice as yours there.

I need a beefier truck for hauling.

I'm done bring wood home until fall. I think I said that same thing about 6 or 7 loads ago.
You think you said that but it was so many loads ago, you can't remember. ;lol

I'm not ready to say I'm not hauling any more home... But I'll just be hauling primo stuff to my place...and maybe a little more shoulder Maple...and maybe... :oops: The rest will go to relatives, to get them far ahead as well.
Yes, they call me Woody for a reason... ==c

Good job done Scotty. What do you use for a splitter?
It's a Swisher 22 ton, originally sold at Home Depot. I found it on craigslist three years ago, it was used twice and I picked it up (still had the tags on the motor) for 800 bucks!

It's a Swisher 22 ton, originally sold at Home Depot. I found it on craigslist three years ago, it was used twice and I picked it up (still had the tags on the motor) for 800 bucks!
Nice Nice deal.

You think you said that but it was so many loads ago, you can't remember. ;lol

I'm not ready to say I'm not hauling any more home... But I'll just be hauling primo stuff to my place...and maybe a little more shoulder Maple...and maybe... :oops: The rest will go to relatives, to get them far ahead as well.
Yes, they call me Woody for a reason... ==c

That's about it Woody. I think I may have to give my saws to someone to hold and if I get to jonesin' too bad I'll rent one. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.