Silver Maple Storage Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Qvist

Burning Hunk
Mar 5, 2019
Eastern Panhandle WV
I will be having a large Silver maple (5ft diameter at base) taken down soon. I will be keeping most of it for firewood. It will most likely take me a few years to burn it all. Is it reasonable to keep silver maple for years without it rotting? I know it rots quickly. I plan to stack it on pallets and cover it. As it seasons quickly I plan on burning some of it next year.

Last edited:
Keep it dry and off the ground and you'll be fine. I used to hate it until I got some decent straight silver maple that I actually let season properly and now I kind of love it for shoulder season. I've even gotten decent overnight burns with big knotty chunks of it.

Keep it dry and off the ground and you'll be fine. I used to hate it until I got some decent straight silver maple that I actually let season properly and now I kind of love it for shoulder season. I've even gotten decent overnight burns with big knotty chunks of it.
Yep, it'll last if it's top-covered. I like to split it smaller and use a couple splits on the front of an Oak load to kick it off (E-W loader.)
I like Red Maple a little better, but I'll grab Silver when available.

Reactions: Woody5506
I will be having a large Silver maple (5ft diameter at base) taken down soon. I will be keeping most of it for firewood. It will most likely take me a few years to burn it all. Is it reasonable to keep silver maple for years without it rotting? I know it rots quickly. I plan to stack it on pallets and cover it. As it seasons quickly I plan on burning some of it next year.
I had a silver maple taken down. Was similar in that it was large (8ft dia). It made about 5 cord. Stacked it in the sun, and let it dry down. Tapped into that for about 4 yrs, spring and fall, and didn't notice any real difference from beginning to end as far as quality. Once dry, fungus etc has a very difficult time doing anything to it. There is also other silver maple here that has been sitting out in some form or other, eventually split and dried, left stacked for 5 yrs, still get a pc mixed in for daily use every once in a while that seems solid and worthy.