1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Silver Maple

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Todd, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Just picked up a load of Silver Maple, free from the city. They said take as much as you want, so I loaded up the pickup truck. Anyone burn this stuff? I've burned Sugar Maple, is it simular? I can't find a BTU rating on it. I'm figuring a medium hardwood. Doesn't seem as heavy as Sugar Maple or Oak.

Also noticed the city has been cutting down some Oak trees to widen a road. I'm going to ask for some of that to.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Around 17 - 18 million BTUs a cord same as poplar and Virginia pine and about the same fiber density.
  3. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    believe it is a notch or two above poplar??? isn't it like the softer red maple?
  4. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Seems quite a bit denser than poplar or pine to me. Anyway it's the best kind of firewood "FREE" and I'm going to burn it.
  5. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Yep,
    It all depends on where you search. I did a search for "heat values of wood" and every site I looked had different numbers. Maybe location has something to do with it also?
  6. jabush

jabush Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Howard County, MD
    One of the trees I had taken down last year was a big Silver maple. I thought it burned pretty well, although I didn't get a chance to burn a large variety of species last year to get a good comparo. It did split easy, and the price was right.
  7. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

The price is right. It's harder than popular. splits easy and will produce heat. Win win situation
    One suggestion It tends to go south fast. Meaning it needs to be split and stacked off the ground.
    If you leave it laying on the ground in a pile it will get punky fast.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.