Silver Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Just picked up a load of Silver Maple, free from the city. They said take as much as you want, so I loaded up the pickup truck. Anyone burn this stuff? I've burned Sugar Maple, is it simular? I can't find a BTU rating on it. I'm figuring a medium hardwood. Doesn't seem as heavy as Sugar Maple or Oak.

Also noticed the city has been cutting down some Oak trees to widen a road. I'm going to ask for some of that to.

Around 17 - 18 million BTUs a cord same as poplar and Virginia pine and about the same fiber density.

Seems quite a bit denser than poplar or pine to me. Anyway it's the best kind of firewood "FREE" and I'm going to burn it.

Yep,
It all depends on where you search. I did a search for "heat values of wood" and every site I looked had different numbers. Maybe location has something to do with it also?

One of the trees I had taken down last year was a big Silver maple. I thought it burned pretty well, although I didn't get a chance to burn a large variety of species last year to get a good comparo. It did split easy, and the price was right.

The price is right. It's harder than popular. splits easy and will produce heat. Win win situation
One suggestion It tends to go south fast. Meaning it needs to be split and stacked off the ground.
If you leave it laying on the ground in a pile it will get punky fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.