Silver Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I started splitting the silver maple I got from a friend a few weeks back and found that it is kinda stringy. There were several splits that had fibers that kept them together and I had to pull apart. Is this normal for silver maple? It's not hard to split just kinda stringy.

Yes, I am certain it's silver maple. I had leaf and bark ID.

f v

If it's fresh cut and near trunk, it can be a bear to split and yes some strings to it, but not too bad.

I had to noodle a handful of bigger rounds that were just too tough for the Fiskars. I know, unbelievable, but true.

fireview2788 said:
I started splitting the silver maple I got from a friend a few weeks back and found that it is kinda stringy. There were several splits that had fibers that kept them together and I had to pull apart. Is this normal for silver maple? It's not hard to split just kinda stringy.

Yes, I am certain it's silver maple. I had leaf and bark ID.

f v

Yes, that is typical of silver maple.

Silver maple burns quick and hot. It's not as bad as pine, but it's not great. It does make outstanding kindling - particularly the dead fall under the canopy after a wind storm.

I was really surprised considering how the twigs snap but I should have known having tried to bend a wet branch.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.