Silver Maple ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long will this keep when C/S/S but left uncovered outside? I have most of next winters wood (cherry and ash) c/s/s and just getting started on my future stash. I found some silver maple mixed in with the oak I've been working on this week. Do I need to separate the soft maple out and use it up next winter?

should last a long time if all split and stacked and off the ground. years..

In my experience, if Sliver Maple is left uncovered it will kinda get punky pretty quick. Even if it's off the ground and in the sun, Cherry has done this way to me in the past as well. I think it would be wise to use it next year, it will be plenty dry. I'm burning Sliver Maple that was c/s/s in July, it tests under 20% right now and burns great!

webby3650 said:
In my experience, if Sliver Maple is left uncovered it will kinda get punky pretty quick. Even if it's off the ground and in the sun, Cherry has done this way to me in the past as well. I think it would be wise to use it next year, it will be plenty dry. I'm burning Sliver Maple that was c/s/s in July, it tests under 20% right now and burns great!
that is true might get a little mushroomy to. cover over may be a good idea.

I would burn it next year also. Dries quick. Not the same btus as harder woods but I love how it burns.
Plenty of short term heat.

That's kinda what I expected. Guess I will throw it into the shoulder season pile with the chunks and uglies. I'm afraid I'm gonna have a couple cords of it tho!

Actually, I like to use the soft maples to help burn down the coals from the harder woods. That way you are still getting good heat without filling the stove with coals when you are burning hard.
Al

Good for making kindling and starting fires, too. Burn it when you are around to feed the stove, and mix it with other wood. Be careful if you stuff the stove with it, though. It does burn hot and fast. I never turn it down.
I wouldn't worry too much about burning it next year. I've got a little from three years ago that wasn't stacked in the best spot. Got some 'shrooms on it, but not punky by any means.

Have a small amount of silver maple left that has been split and stacked for over over 3 years. I was surprised at how much the smaller splits had deteriorated from last winter, especially since it was our driest year on record.

wetwood said:
Have a small amount of silver maple left that has been split and stacked for over over 3 years. I was surprised at how much the smaller splits had deteriorated from last winter, especially since it was our driest year on record.
That seems to be my luck with it also, I burn it as soon as I can, another use for a MM.

It was not that long ago when we burned soft maple that was 7 years in the stack. No problems at all. Also, I've never had a soft maple go bad unless it was left laying out in the woods. I cut some yesterday that has been down for a year. It is great stuff too as it is all ready to burn now if we needed it. I'll use most of it for kindling wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.