Simington Grinder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
I pulled the trigger after all of these years! It just made sense to get it as all I run on every saw is full chisel chain and the last shop I used quit sharpening chains and when I went to inquire at a shop a long ways from me and when he told me $25 cents a tooth my jaw dropped! I run approx...45 chains for all of the saws.I figured 4 complete sharpenings and it will pay for its self at a cost of $969 to my door.There is a learning curve to it as I discovered...:) as this was my first swing-arm grinder but I am starting to get the hang of it after running 20 -16 in chains through it for my 260 Pros....I am proud to say I only butchered one! :) I put a fresh chain on one of the 260s and went to the wood pile and grabbed the knotty piece of White Oak I could find and prayed that it would cut...my fear of failure was unfounded and it ate that Oak up! I did find while sharpening dirty chain that the wheel would dirty fairly fast and I had to dress it often...I decided that was not going to work for me and remembered that I had a jug of Purple Power Industrial strength cleaner out in the barn and mixed it 20 ozs per gallon and let the chains soak for 5 minutes and was I amazed at how well this stuff worked! It melted the built up crud right off! I drove a 16 penny nail into the top of a saw horse so I had a way to hold the chain straight and still and hit them a couple times with a stiff bristle brush and they came out looking as new. I then let the sun dry them and then sharpened them...afterwards they were soaked in oil and are ready to go..now I have a pile of chain for the rest of the saws waiting but after they are done I wont have to do so many at a time as I wont let them pile up like I did this time..;) One negative of this new grinder is I now have friends I didnt know I had wanting chains sharpened....:) not interested in starting a chain sharpening business as I dont like it that well....lol

IMG_3478.jpg

Neat new toy! There's a video on a similar model (or the same one) here:

Any reason you went with that over a hand worked model? I'm waiting to upgrade until they have one you can wrap the chain around, then turn it on and walk off and leave it. Then come back in 60 seconds with a fully sharpened chain.

Yes it is the same one...I went with it because it is purpose built for square chisel chain.

Yeah the way that saw ripped through that tree in the video was impressive. I'm sure you'll get years of good use out of it!

I pulled the trigger after all of these years! It just made sense to get it as all I run on every saw is full chisel chain and the last shop I used quit sharpening chains and when I went to inquire at a shop a long ways from me and when he told me $25 cents a tooth my jaw dropped! I run approx...45 chains for all of the saws.I figured 4 complete sharpenings and it will pay for its self at a cost of $969 to my door.There is a learning curve to it as I discovered...:) as this was my first swing-arm grinder but I am starting to get the hang of it after running 20 -16 in chains through it for my 260 Pros....I am proud to say I only butchered one! :) I put a fresh chain on one of the 260s and went to the wood pile and grabbed the knotty piece of White Oak I could find and prayed that it would cut...my fear of failure was unfounded and it ate that Oak up! I did find while sharpening dirty chain that the wheel would dirty fairly fast and I had to dress it often...I decided that was not going to work for me and remembered that I had a jug of Purple Power Industrial strength cleaner out in the barn and mixed it 20 ozs per gallon and let the chains soak for 5 minutes and was I amazed at how well this stuff worked! It melted the built up crud right off! I drove a 16 penny nail into the top of a saw horse so I had a way to hold the chain straight and still and hit them a couple times with a stiff bristle brush and they came out looking as new. I then let the sun dry them and then sharpened them...afterwards they were soaked in oil and are ready to go..now I have a pile of chain for the rest of the saws waiting but after they are done I wont have to do so many at a time as I wont let them pile up like I did this time..;) One negative of this new grinder is I now have friends I didnt know I had wanting chains sharpened....:) not interested in starting a chain sharpening business as I dont like it that well....lol

View attachment 229077
There is all kinds of info & recommendations sharpening square chisel chain on OPE site & a Simington tips, tricks & secrets thread. You’ve probably already seen it or read it but FYI.

Last edited:
Nice piece of equipment!!

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Jimbear.....what does OPE stand for? Thanks

JimBear.. thanks a thousand times over for the OPE link! There is a wealth of information there that I needed! lol I am pouring over this information daily trying to glean all that i can from it...thanks again!

JimBear.. thanks a thousand times over for the OPE link! There is a wealth of information there that I needed! lol I am pouring over this information daily trying to glean all that i can from it...thanks again!
No problem, glad it helped you, I read a lot of that thread & decided I am good to go with my 2-1 sharpeners no need to make the jump to square chisel chain for me. There is a lot of useful interesting threads & info on that site.

View attachment 229077

It's a nice grinder. If you need any help getting it setup to suit you ask away.

It's a nice grinder. If you need any help getting it setup to suit you ask away.
Thank you for your kind offer as I am sure I will have questions! lol I am just getting started with it...

Check out Arboristsite as well.That site was around before OPE,there was a bunch of crap that went on there plus a big hack that compromised a bunch of pictures.After that OPE was formed.There will be a bunch of info on the grinder and grinding there as well.

Reactions: JimBear
Check out Arboristsite as well.That site was around before OPE,there was a bunch of crap that went on there plus a big hack that compromised a bunch of pictures.After that OPE was formed.There will be a bunch of info on the grinder and grinding there as well.
Thank you...I will check them out as well!