Simple joys and Firewood Therapy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
Some things are going down in relation to my work and finances right now that are definitely not fun.

This is making sleep a bit difficult at times and has my stress level climbing.

While it won't make everything better, it was a good break this morning to get up early, to reload the stove and then to move some wood.

I flipped on some outside light, grabbed the sled we use to move wood from the stack to under the deck where it can go straight into the basement wood box.

Even if things continue to go a bit sideways, well it feels like more than a bit the last couple of days, I know that my wife and kids love me, we have lots to eat and our wood stacks are holding through much longer than they have in the past.

Thanks to all you hearth.com members who, while mostly anonymous, are a tremendous encouragement to me. In a time in history where, and I own this completely, our lives can become so encumbered by debts and trivial pursuits the simple joys of heating one's own home with the most basic of elements is a comfort.

While this post may come across as maudlin, and I guess it is, I do sincerely appreciate hearth.com for the diversion and learning opportunity it affords.

Hang in there lowroad and enjoy those simple pleasures. How convenient that this simple pleasure also keeps your family warm.

Hang in there Lowroad . . . and yes . . . having a stack or shed full of firewood is a good feeling . . . financially and emotionally . . . not to mention that I find the repetitive action of stacking wood or splitting wood to be godo therapy as it allows one to focus a bit or if they wish just let the mind go a wandering for a bit . . .

The wood that needs splitting is well covered by snow right now.

I am thinking about doing some digging with the tractor and shovel to begin attacking some of that.

The stress actually has hit my immune system pretty hard and it is hard to get motivated to battle through.

The wood is a good start to coping.

lowroadacres, my wife and I have kiddingly talked about my "wood therapy" but it really is good therapy working with the wood. In the mornings before going to work I'll walk out back and look at each stack of wood. If I skipped looking a day, a week, a month...it'd still be sitting there (only drier) but to me it gives me a short pause in life to look at a basic thing in life that isn't too complicated, is natural, and will keep me and the wife warm this coming winter. Yesterday was the first day that all stacks showed good signs of checking in the end grain, and it made me smile. :)

I'm with you on the economy. You've got company...more so than you probably think.

A friend of mine once preached a sermon basically entitled "And it came to pass". Bad times come, and bad times pass. We have to overcome them while they're here.

What you said about your wife and kids loving...speaks volumes about you and yours....you're far richer than many people are.

Best wishes,
Ed

Excellent thread.Some months are good,some months are quite lean,money-wise.But as long as I have a roof over my head,warm clothes,plenty of food in freezer & storage cupboards,plenty of dry wood & a little money in the bank at the end of the month,I'm happy.It's these 'simple things' that mean the most,those who burn wood know what I mean,those that dont,wouldnt understand anyway.... ;-)

Hang in there, it will get better
I burn pellets but
I still cut split stack wood for fun
I like to be outside in all weather
and using power tools is therapy to me
I have stacks around the property
just waiting to be burned someday

lowroadacres, it sounds like you are going through a tough time. Sorry to hear that and understand your feelings. I can understand because I've been there....a couple times in my life. Sometimes I did wonder where the next slice of bread was going to come from but somehow we made it. Sure, times were a bit lean and it was difficult, but it can be endured. Brighter days are ahead. In the meantime, cutting or splitting wood is one of the very best things you can do. Hard exercise is great therapy especially for when one starts to feel depressed. So get out there and do it. Prayer does not hurt a thing now either and just might help.

lowroad,
it really is the basics that are important. Family most of all. You've got that.
It's funny you mention all the trivial pursuits, etc., as I was thinking of that yesterday.
Worked for almost 35 years, and ALL of those things I thought were important back in the day are gone. Don't have 'em anymore. Don't even know where they went.
Don't really care nowadays.
I wake every day thankful that I and my wife have each other, relatively good health, a roof over our heads, and the basics.
Firewood is good therapy. Now, go stare at the fire. :coolsmile:

Hope your imune system and situation start improving! As said, exercise has always help me lower my stress level....with this in mind I'm hoping our snow & ice melts enough in the next few days for me to get at those rounds I bucked up last December!
We've had our fair share of "tough times" too and while they are no fun to live through we eventually come out OK to one day say...remember when and realize just how fortunate we are.
Now, get out there with that tractor and shovel and continue your wood therapy!

PapaDave said:
lowroad,
it really is the basics that are important. Family most of all. You've got that.
It's funny you mention all the trivial pursuits, etc., as I was thinking of that yesterday.
Worked for almost 35 years, and ALL of those things I thought were important back in the day are gone. Don't have 'em anymore. Don't even know where they went.
Don't really care nowadays.
I wake every day thankful that I and my wife have each other, relatively good health, a roof over our heads, and the basics.
Firewood is good therapy. Now, go stare at the fire. :coolsmile:

+10

Zap

lowroad: Been there, still there, another day always dawns. :)

lowroad, I know how your feeling, my wife has been out of work going on a year now (she has her first interview in months next week so prayers are appreciated). Luckily Im pretty secured in my job, and god has provided in surprising ways! I dont know if your a religious man, but I am and pray daily for all that I have and always include his gift of wood therapy. When Im stressed (like the past year) I dont sleep. I didnt start splitting my wood till Jan but have found that the exercise lets me get thoughts out and stress out (poor wood). I too have turned to this forum for distractions from the bills and other stress and you guys have been a huge help! Im glad you posted this thread, Ive been debating on posting a similar thread for days. Again thanks to all of you Hearth.com members!

Lowroads:

I look at the positive in your post. As a mental health professional, I like your thought direction. I too like wood, for much of the reaons above. 2 years ago when we bought our house, the first thing I did was to buy a fire pit at one of the big box stores for my backyard. I scrounged for large rounds and went to work with the maul. I've been hooked ever since. Great workout, stress reliever, exhibition of skill and creativity, purpose (heat), etc.

I'm towards the end of my research phase to getting a wood burning insert. My hobby and lifestyle will only intensify. Glad to see "wood therapy" can help.

From Levittown Pa. to Levittown NY.....all can relate. Thru times of bounty to tightening belts, my wood stacks have served me well in many ways. I got some 'not-so-good' financial news myself, yesterday. My wife, in her wisdom, reminded me of lean times gone by, and all the blessings we DO HAVE right now. No matter what the hardship, family and faith will see us through. Feel better-- start splitting---...and God bless.

It is interesting what happens when one gets their feet moving.

I still have a very difficult phone call to make yet today or tomorrow morning about my work but it is incredible when one is both able to share the details with those people who are closest to us..... My bride and my parents.... And what happens when one does some physical work.

While I have not split any wood today I did move a few sled loads and stacked them under the deck.

This evening's plan is to do more of the same and to have the boys help me load the wood box with some premium seasoned ash to fight back what we hope will be one of our last truly cold snaps.

My life is actually really good and where I have challenges I fully recognize that I am the author of some of those same challenges myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.