1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Simple Pellet Cleaner

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Shortstuff, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bungalobob

bungalobob Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central ct
    Thanks for all that info. Makes me feel a little better knowing I might not have to worry about sifting my fuel. The idea of all that extra work would definetly put a damper on running a pellet stove. I will post my experience with fines once I actually get some experience. Nice to know it might just be an individual kind of thing.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    Actually some residential stoves are designed to handle standard grade pellets. I know the Lennox ones are (like my Profile 30) and I believe the Harmans are as well. In fact, I think there are as many that can handle standard grade as are pellet/corn dual fuelers. The stove's manual will note it.

Just for a reference, Premium pellets should leave no more than a cube of 2.5"x2.5"x2.5" of ash per bag. Most leave less. It's not a lot. Standard grade would be up to 3 times that. Again not a whole lot. It's all relative.

Standard grade pellets meet the same PFI standards except for Ash content. Ash content of Premium grade must be less than 1% and Standard grade must be less than 3%. Since you get no BTUs from ash, if the price of standard grade pellets is more than 3% lower than premium, and your stove can burn them, and you don't mind cleaning the extra ash, you can save money getting standard grade. However, 90% of what's made is premium so it's hard to find them.
  3. gw2kpro

gw2kpro New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Great info, thanks!
  4. rap69ri

rap69ri New Member

Loc:
    Middle of RI
    Shouldn't your screen name have cheese in it somewhere? :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.